You’ll love these Honey Cookies, made with butter, brown sugar and honey, spiced with ginger and cinnamon. These cut-out cookies are so easy to make and taste absolutely delicious!
Honey Cookies AKA my new favourite thing! ❤️
Thick cut-out cookies made with butter and honey and lightly spiced with cinnamon and ginger. They’re soft and chewy and perfectly golden.
Just like Gingerbread Cookies, these buttery biscuits will be your new go-to 👌🏻
Inspiration can come from anywhere. Last week, I was in the cookie aisle of the supermarket and I saw a packet of honey cookies. Suddenly, I felt like I needed a honey cookie. I wasn’t even sure what a honey cookie typically was but I knew exactly what kind of cookie I wanted.
I wanted a classic cut-out cookie, a little on the thicker side, perfectly spiced and just a little under baked, with mountains of sweet honey flavour.
And that’s exactly what we have here 👇🏻
For this recipe, I adapted my favourite Gingerbread Cookie recipe. Instead of using molasses or golden syrup, instead I substituted honey. Rich, golden, drippy honey. And brown sugar for sweetness and a soft caramel-like flavour.
I eased up on the spices, and added just a dash of ginger and a little cinnamon.
So what do you get? The perfect Honey Cookie. And because these are cut-out cookies, you can make them into any shape you like!
TIPS FOR MAKING PERFECT HONEY COOKIES
- You will need an electric mixer to make these Honey Cookies.
- Start with room temperature butter. Use an electric mixer to cream together the butter and brown sugar until they are pale and creamy. We use brown sugar in this recipe for flavour, texture and colour.
- Add honey – any regular store bought honey will do – and one egg yolk. Mix briefly until combined. Then add your dry ingredients – the flour, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon.
- The dough should come together into a ball. Shape it into a disc using your hands, and then cover it completely with plastic wrap. The cookie dough needs to rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Then comes the fun part – rolling out the cookies! I suggest lightly flouring your bench. Then using a rolling pin to roll out the cookie dough. If the rolling pin sticks to the cookie dough, just lightly flour it as well.
- Roll the dough out to roughly 1/2 inch thick, then use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes. Use a small spatula or butter knife to carefully lift the cookies from the bench and transfer them to a baking tray lined with baking or parchment paper.
- Bake the cookies in a moderate oven for approximately 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are lightly golden on the edges. Bake the cookies for a few minutes longer if you like a crisper cookie, or a little less for a chewy cookie. The cookies will firm up as they cool.
- You can enjoy the cookies are they are – or you could even frost them, drizzle them with royal icing or dip them in melted chocolate.
- Store Honey Cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
MORE COOKIE RECIPES TO TRY:
- Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Oreo Cookies
- Cornflake Marshmallow Cookies
- Nutella Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- White Chocolate Chip Cookies
Buttery honey cut-out cookies made from scratch.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 135 grams (3/4 cup) brown sugar
- 160 grams (1/2 cup) honey
- 1 egg yolk
- 315 grams (2 and 1/4 cup) plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt, optional
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and creamy. Add honey and the egg yolk. Beat again to form a creamy mixture. Sift in the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt, if using.
- Beat briefly until dough starts to come together. Use your hands to gather the dough and form into a large round disc. Wrap the dough in plastic and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line two cookie or oven trays with baking or parchment paper.
- Lightly flour your bench and roll out the dough using a rolling pin to about 1/2 inch thick. Dust your rolling pin as you go to prevent the dough from sticking.
- Cut out shapes using cookie cutters and gently place the cookies onto the prepared trays. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until just golden on the edges. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 191
Keywords: Honey cookies, Gingerbread cookies, Honey biscuits