Learn how to make soft and chewy Spiced Gingerbread Men from scratch. These buttery ginger cookies are so easy to make and decorate – perfect for holiday baking!
Perfect Gingerbread Cookies 🎄
I make these Gingerbread Cookies every year, without fail. Soft and chewy Gingerbread Cookies made completely from scratch. Filled to the brim with holiday spices and decorated with a simple 2-ingredient icing, these cookies are the ultimate holiday treat.
They can be rolled and cut into any shape you like, so it’s a great activity for the kids!
Without a doubt, one of my favourite Christmas treats is gingerbread. I can eat it by the handful. I’ve already shared my favourite Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies with you and my Gingerbread Loaf Cake, but this year, it’s all about classic Gingerbread Men.
You can make these cookies using just a handful of regular ingredients. They get their delicious caramel flavour from butter and brown sugar, and you can use either golden syrup or molasses for their classic gingerbread taste.
Next comes the spices. I like to use a blend of ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. It gives the cookies a little bit of a bite and oodles of flavour. If you don’t have nutmeg or cloves on hand, you can stick to just ginger and cinnamon.
If you like quite a kick, pump up the ginger to a full tablespoon. I LOVE them like this but if you are sharing with the kids, take it down to just 2 teaspoons as per the recipe. Each to their own!
Perhaps the best part about these cookies, is that instead of using royal icing, I just a simple 2-ingredient icing. It takes only seconds to make and it firms up just like royal icing. A few red and green M&M’s and you’re done!
MORE CHRISTMAS COOKIES TO TRY:
- Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies
- Chocolate Molasses Cookies
- Peppermint Chocolate Cookies
- White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
- Chewy Snickerdoodle Cookies
- M&M Christmas Cookies
Soft and chewy gingerbread cookies made from scratch.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 135 grams (3/4 cup) brown sugar
- 160 grams (1/2 cup) golden syrup or molasses
- 1 egg yolk
- 315 grams (2 and 1/4 cup) plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 125 grams (1 cup) icing or powdered sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons warm water
- Red and green M&M’s
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the butter and sugar using an electric beater until combined. Add molasses and egg yolk. Beat again until a creamy mixture forms.
- Sift in flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Beat briefly until a cookie dough starts to form.
- Sprinkle your bench with some extra flour and then knead the dough for a minute or two, just until it comes together to form a smooth ball. Wrap the dough in plastic and pop in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line two cookie or oven trays with baking paper.
- Generously flour your bench and roll out your dough using a rolling pin. Dust your rolling pin with flour as you go to prevent the dough from sticking.
- Cut out shapes using cookie cutters and gently place the cookies onto the prepared trays. Bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Once the cookies are completely cool, place the icing sugar in a small bowl and add the water, one tablespoon at a time, and stir until it forms a smooth paste.
- Add the icing into a piping bag fitted with a small nozzle or use a plastic sandwich bag if you don’t have a piping bag. Decorate your gingerbread men with icing and add a few M&M’s on top. Leave each cookie for about 10 minutes for the icing to set.
This recipe was first published on Sweetest Menu in December 2015.