A moist Gingerbread Loaf made with brown sugar, molasses and sweet spices like ginger and cinnamon. This gorgeous gingerbread cake is super easy to make – perfect for Christmas!
And just like that it’s 5 sleeps until Christmas 🎄
2018 may be coming to a close, but we’re not going to let that happen without celebrating with at least one more holiday treat. Say hello to your new favourite gingerbread cake.
I’m talking a soft and moist Gingerbread Loaf, made with caramelicious brown sugar and rich, dark molasses.
Spiced with ginger and cinnamon, this Gingerbread Loaf Cake is my everything. I always knew that I loved Gingerbread Cookies. Soft and chewy and spiced with ginger and molasses, they’re one of the BEST Christmas treats.
But now. Now I’m ALL about Gingerbread Cake.
More specifically, this soft and sweet Gingerbread Loaf.
Well let’s start with the enviable texture of this sweet cake. With a dash of milk and sour cream, it’s surprisingly soft and tender.
But all the mouthwatering flavour comes from deliciously rich molasses that mixes with butter and brown sugar for a deep caramel flavour. Add a handful of spices and you have the perfect Gingerbread Cake.
The best part? It’s so easy to make! It’s basically a one bowl recipe. And you probably have most, if not all, the ingredients sitting in your pantry right now.
I’ve made this loaf a number of times already and it’s a household fave. I just made another loaf (ate a big piece obvs) and then cut it into thick slices and stacked them in my freezer. So now I can have Gingerbread Loaf everrryday.
So the question is, will you join me? This Gingerbread Loaf is calling 👇🏻
Soft and moist Gingerbread Loaf Cake.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) molasses
- 245 grams (1 and 3/4 cup) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) full fat milk or whole milk
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) full fat sour cream or Greek-style yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Grease and line a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter and sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla, egg and molasses. Beat briefly until combined. Don’t worry if the batter goes a little lumpy.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon. Start to beat on a low speed. Slowly add milk and sour and continue to beat until cake batter is thick and creamy.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan. Bake in the oven for approximately 40-45 minutes* or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
*Check your loaf at 40 minutes. If it starts to look very brown on the outside but isn’t yet cooked on the inside, cover with aluminium foil and keep baking – checking every 5 minutes.