Soft and moist Gingerbread Loaf Cake.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) molasses
- 245 grams (1 and 3/4 cup) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) milk
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) sour cream or Greek-style yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Grease and line a 9 x 5 inch rectangular loaf pan with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter and sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla, egg and molasses. Beat briefly until combined. Don’t worry if the batter goes a little lumpy.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon. Start to beat on a low speed. Slowly add milk and sour and continue to beat until cake batter is thick and creamy.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan. Bake in the oven for approximately 40-45 minutes* or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
*Check your loaf at 40 minutes. If it starts to look very brown on the outside but isn’t yet cooked on the inside, cover with aluminium foil and keep baking – checking every 5 minutes.