You’ll love these Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies. Soft and chewy, with crisp edges, these cut-out Gingerbread Cookies are perfect for decorating and giving away as Christmas gifts.
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas 🎄
If you love gingerbread AND chocolate, you’ll adore these soft chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies.
Perfectly spiced, with a hint of cocoa and a kick of ginger, they’re the ultimate Christmas cookie treat.
I know it’s a bit early to start rolling out the Christmas goodies but I just can’t help myself when it comes to gingerbread. I’m obsessed!
When I think of Christmas, I can’t help but think of cut-out cookies. They’re so much fun, especially as a group activity.
Last year, I invited some girl friends over and we had a Christmas night, where we decorated gingerbread men and made chocolate bark that we could then give to our friends and family.
These gorgeous Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies are perfect for decorating. The soft dough comes together in a flash and can sit in the fridge until you’re ready to roll – get it, roll? 😂
You can cut these cookies into any shapes and size. I did a whole bunch of stars, as well as some hearts, gingerbread men and flowers.
Just 10 minutes in the oven and they will be crisp to perfection. Once they have cooled, you can decorate however you wish.
I drizzled mine with a little dark chocolate, but you can decorate with your favourite frostings or candy. SO. MUCH. FUN.
So if you’re feeling in a festive mood this week, why not try these gorgeous Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies. Deliciously chewy, with crisp edges, they’re so much fun to make AND eat.
Let’s get the silly season started!
Soft and chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies drizzled with chocolate.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 135 grams (3/4 cup) brown sugar
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 245 grams (1 and 3/4 cup) plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 40 grams (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Melted chocolate, to drizzle
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until combined. Add vanilla, molasses and egg yolk. Beat again to form a creamy mixture.
- Sift in flour, cocoa, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg and best briefly until dough starts to come together. Form dough into a smooth round disc. Wrap the dough in plastic and pop in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line two cookie or oven trays with baking paper. Lightly flour bench and roll out dough using a rolling pin. Dust your rolling pin as you go to prevent the dough from sticking.
- Cut out shapes and place the cookies onto the prepared trays. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool. Drizzle with melted chocolate.