The most AMAZING Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies ever. These thick and chewy chocolate cookies are swirled with buttery peanut butter chunks and stuffed with chocolate.
Get ready for some peanut butter madness.
These Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies are one of the BEST things to come out of the Sweetest Menu kitchen this year. They’re big, chunky and filled to the brim with peanut butter and chocolate.
One bite and you’ll be whisked away to chocolate covered peanut butter HEAVEN. Well I know I was.
When I went to Paris late last year for the first time, I was totally enamoured by the food. While I was there, I tasted the most AMAZING cookies. They were thick and chewy and had super-sized chunks of peanut butter in them. So I came home inspired to recreate something similar in my own kitchen.
When I first thought about adding peanut butter into chocolate cookies, the challenge was doing it so the peanut butter wasn’t actually mixed IN the cookie dough. But rather, still chunky in parts and almost swirled with the cocoa-laden cookie.
The solution? Whipping up a sweet peanut butter dough and freezing it while making the cookies. You then chop it into chunks and combine the two using your hands. As they bake, they melt together to form one m-e-g-a cookie.
These Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies are not for the faint-hearted. But if you’re craving a peanut butter treat, and go mad for anything with chocolate, these are for you.
They’re soft, sweet and chewy, with bursts of chocolate and melt-in-your-mouth peanut butter. Honestly, if I ever own a cafe one day, I’ll be putting these Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies on the menu.
Chunky chocolate cookies stuffed with pieces of peanut butter.
Peanut butter chunks
- 30 grams (1 and 1/2 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 125 grams (1/2 cup) smooth peanut butter, room temperature
- 90 grams (3/4 cup) icing or powdered sugar
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 175 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) plain flour
- 40 grams (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 100 grams (2/3) dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter, peanut butter and icing sugar and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Transfer peanut butter mix to a small plate and flatten into 1/2 inch thick slab using your hands – no need to be exact. Place in the freezer for at least one hour.
- Next, make chocolate cookie dough. In a large mixing bowl, add butter and sugars and beat with an electric mixer until combined. Add the vanilla and egg and beat for a minute or so until smooth.
- Sift in flour, cocoa powder and baking soda into the mixture, and stir until combined and forms a chocolate dough. Add chocolate chunks.
- Remove peanut butter from the freezer. Roughly chop into 1 inch cubes.
- Grab approximately 1.5 tablespoons of cookie dough and, using your hands, combine with two or three peanut butter cubes. Roll until smooth.Place onto the prepared trays. Repeat with remaining cookie dough and peanut butter.
- Bake cookies for approximately 12 minutes, or until firm to the touch, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Keywords: Peanut butter cookies, Chocolate cookies, Choc peanut butter cookies