Learn how to make perfect Cornmeal Cookies, with crispy edges, soft centres and the taste of buttery corn in every bite. Made with polenta, these are my fave Corn Cookies!
Perfect Cornmeal Cookies 💙
And I’m talking p-e-r-f-e-c-t. With crispy golden edges, a soft centre and the taste of buttery corn in everrry single bite. Made with polenta or cornmeal, these Corn Cookies are hands down, one of my favourite cookies ever.
Flavour, texture and a little crunch – this cookie has it all.
I have to credit my husband for the inspiration for this recipe. He asked me to make him a Corn Cookie. I first thought, what in the world is a Corn Cookie? But I went to work with a fresh bag of polenta in one hand and my kitchen mixer in the other.
My first batch went in the oven as 6 individual cookies and emerged as one giant one. Not exactly what I was intending. But the flavour was there.
So over the coming days I tried again. And again. And again. I was up to my ears in Corn Cookies. I had ones that were so thin they were see-through, then ones that were so fat, they were like whoopie pies. And then there was the flavour. I made them too sweet, too salty, not corn-y enough.
Then, I struck gold – in the form of the perfect Cornmeal Cookie. One with crisp golden edges boasting the perfect amount of chew, a light and fluffy centre and a sweet corn flavour that’s reminiscent of a good piece of cornbread.
FYI I am now completely hooked on cornmeal cookies.
So I dedicate these to my husband, who randomly sent me on a wild ride, but helped me discover my new favourite cookie. If you have a bag of polenta in your cupboard, you need to try these cookies!
HOW TO MAKE PERFECT CORNMEAL COOKIES
- These Corn Cookies are so easy to make. You will need an electric mixer or beater.
- Start with room temperature butter – it needs to be softened so not fridge cold, but not melty by any means.
- We use a combination of brown sugar for extra flavour and caster sugar for crispness. You can swap caster sugar with granulated sugar if you like. Read more about caster sugar here.
- We add a little bit of honey to the cookie batter which means these cookies reminiscent of honey cornbread – amazing!
- The cookies call for part plain or all purpose flour and part polenta or cornmeal. It means the cookies have a lovely soft texture but also a little crunch and flavour from the polenta.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes, or until the cookies have spread out in the oven and gone slightly golden on the edges. They will be very soft when they first come out of the oven but will firm up as they cool.
MORE COOKIE RECIPES TO TRY
- Honey Cookies
- Lemon Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chocolate Cookies
- Snickerdoodle Cookies
Easy Corn Cookies made with polenta or cornmeal and honey.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 45 grams (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 175 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 120 grams (3/4 cup) cornmeal or polenta
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line two baking trays with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugars until pale and creamy. Add the vanilla, egg and honey and mix again until combined.
- Sift in the plain flour and baking soda. Add the polenta and salt and stir until combined. Roll balls of cookie dough using your hands, approximately 1.5 tablespoons each, and place on prepared trays.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes or until golden brown on the edges. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
This recipe was first published on Sweetest Menu in May 2017.