They’re heeeerreeee 🍪 🍪 🍪
Perfect cornmeal cookies. And I’m talking p-e-r-f-e-c-t. With crispy golden edges, a soft fluffy centre and the taste of buttery corn in everrry single bite.
Flavour, texture and crunch – this cookie has it all.
A few weeks ago, I had the urge to bake. Not recipe test for my blog. Not bake for work. But just bake for enjoyment. So I came home from a day at work and messaged my husband, asking the question – what can I bake for you?
I had thoughts of savoury baking, perhaps a freshly baked focaccia or maybe a cheddar biscuit. He replied instantly.
Corn cookies? CORN COOKIES? What in the world are corn cookies? I mean I knew Momofuku Milk Bar makes a mean corn cookie (haven’t tried it, on the bucket list) but I had never made or even eaten one.
Where did this idea come from?
Puzzled but happy to try something new, I set about the kitchen, polenta in hand, and attempted to make a cornmeal cookie. My first batch went in the oven as 6 individual cookies and emerged as one giant one. Not exactly what I was intending. But the flavour was there.
So over the coming days I tried again. And again. And again. I was up to my ears in corn cookies. I had ones that were so thin they were see-through, then ones that were so fat, they were like a whoopie pie. And then there was the flavour. I made them too sweet, too salty, not corn-y enough.
Then, I struck gold – in the form of the perfect corn cookie. One with crisp golden edges boasting the perfect amount of chew, a light and fluffy centre and a sweet corn flavour that’s reminiscent of a good piece of cornbread.
FYI I am now completely hooked on cornmeal cookies.
So I dedicate these to my husband, who randomly sent me on a wild ride, but helped me discover my new favourite cookie.
Learn how to make perfect Cornmeal Cookies, with crispy golden edges, a soft fluffy centre and the taste of buttery corn in everrry single bite.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 45 grams (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 175 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 120 grams (3/4 cup) cornmeal or polenta
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 160 C (320 F). Line two baking trays with baking or parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugars until pale and creamy. Add the vanilla, egg and honey and mix again until combined.
- Sift in the plain flour and baking soda. Add the polenta and salt and stir until combined. Roll teaspoons of the cookie dough and place on prepared trays. Bake for approximately 12 minutes or until golden brown on the edges. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 237
Keywords: Dessert, Cookies, Cornmeal, Polenta, Dessert