Beautiful Funfetti Chocolate Chip Cookies packed with chocolate chips and jimmy sprinkles. There’s no need to chill the dough so these soft and chewy cookies are ready to eat in just 30 minutes.
It’s party time 🎉
Welcome to Sweetest Menu’s first COOKIE MONTH. We’re kicking things off with my favourite golden Funfetti Chocolate Chip Cookies.
They’re super quick and easy to make – kids will love rolling the cookies in the sprinkles. And with no need to chill the dough, they’re ready to eat in 30 minutes!
Filled to the brim with chocolate chips and colourful jimmy sprinkles, they’re soft, chewy and perfect for birthdays 🥳
why you will love this recipe
- Expect soft and chewy cookies (with crispy edges)
- Filled with chocolate chips and sprinkles
- There’s no chilling the dough
- Ready to eat in 30 minutes!
Some recipes start with an idea, a flavour combo or a title. Others start with a visual. A picture of something I want to create or recreate.
These Funfetti Cookies were born out of my imagination, where I had visions of cookies covered in colourful sprinkles on a pink background. I don’t know why but I couldn’t stop thinking about them. So here we are.
I took the base recipe I use for my popular White Chocolate Chip Cookies and my Smartie Cookies but added regular chocolate chips and loads of funfetti sprinkles. To make them even more fun and party-like, I also rolled each cookie dough ball in more sprinkles before baking.
These cookies spread naturally in the oven to make perfect Funfetti Chocolate Chip Cookies, with crispy edges and soft, pillow-y centres.
They’re everything I dreamed of and more.
What you will need
Just a handful of pantry staples will give you the most amazing, chewy cookies. Here’s what you will need:
- Unsalted butter
- Brown sugar
- Caster sugar: Or granulated sugar.
- Vanilla extract
- Plain flour: Or all purpose flour.
- Baking soda
- Chocolate chips: I used milk chocolate chips, but you can use dark chocolate or white chocolate chips.
- Funfetti sprinkles: I recommend using jimmy sprinkles. Don’t use nonpareil sprinkles as they will melt and bleed into your cookie dough.
how to make them
There is something therapeutic about making a big batch of cookies and these Funfetti Chocolate Chip Cookies are no exception. Here’s how to make them in four simple steps:
- Beat together butter and sugars until smooth and creamy.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt and mix until soft cookie dough forms.
- Add chocolate chips and sprinkles!
a few extra sprinkles
Once we roll the cookie dough into balls, they’re almost ready to bake. To make them extra special, we roll each cookie dough in extra sprinkles. It’ll really make them POP.
frequently asked questions
Yes you can use milk, dark or white chocolate chips in this recipe – or a combo. Or you can leave them out for a classic Funfetti Cookie.
I use rainbow jimmy sprinkles. You can use any jimmy sprinkles you like. Don’t use nonpareil sprinkles, as they will melt and bleed into your cookie dough.
You can make the cookie dough ahead of time and store it in the fridge for 2-3 days. I recommend rolling the cookie dough into balls first while the dough is soft. You can then store them in an airtight container in the fridge. When you’re ready to bake, bring the cookie dough back to room temperature and then bake. Alternatively, you can freeze the cookie dough for up to two months.
These cookies should spread naturally in the oven. Using softened butter means the butter will be warm after mixing and will quickly melt in the oven. If your cookies don’t spread, it’s likely your butter was too cold and/or you added too much flour. This article has some more tips about cookie spreading.
Tips for making perfect cookies
- Weigh your ingredients: I highly recommend using a baking scale to weigh your ingredients, especially your butter and flour. It’s easy to over-measure when using cup measurements and too much flour will result in a dry cookie that doesn’t spread in the oven.
- Use softened butter: Make sure your butter is at room temperature – not fridge cold but not so warm it’s melty or wet.
- Don’t over-mix your cookie dough: Once your cookie dough is combined, you can stop mixing. The more you mix, the more you’re developing the gluten, which will result in tough or dry cookies.
- Decorate and shape while warm: When you first get the cookies out of the oven, they’ll be warm and pliable. Now’s the time to shape them, if there’s any that need adjusting to be a perfect circle. Just use a spoon to tuck in the edges and make them round. Press extra chocolate chips into the top of each cookie.
- Let them cool: Cookies firm up as they cool, wait a few minutes before carefully sliding them to a wire rack to cool completely.
more cookies to love
Golden chewy cookies packed with chocolate chips and sprinkles.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cup) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 150 grams (1 cup) chocolate chips, plus extra for decorating
- 30 grams (1/4 cup) coloured funfetti sprinkles, plus extra for rolling
- Line two baking trays with baking or parchment paper. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced.
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter and sugars. Beat using an electric mixer on medium speed for 1-2 minutes or until smooth and creamy.
- Add vanilla and egg and beat until combined. Add flour, baking soda and salt and mix until soft cookie dough forms. Stir through chocolate chips and sprinkles.
- Scoop cookie dough – roughly 1.5 tablespoons per cookie – and roll into balls using your hands. Then, roll each one in extra sprinkles ensuring they stick to the cookie.
- Place cookie dough balls on prepared trays, leaving room for the cookies to spread out. Bake for approximately 11-12 minutes or until golden brown on the edges.
- While cookies are warm, press a few extra chocolate chips on top. Then carefully transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Chocolate chips: You can use milk, dark or white chocolate chips in this recipe – or a combo. Or you can leave them out for a classic Funfetti Cookie.
Sprinkles: I use rainbow jimmy sprinkles. You can use any jimmy sprinkles you like. Don’t use nonpareil sprinkles, as they will melt and bleed into your cookie dough.
Make ahead: You can make the cookie dough ahead of time and store it in the fridge for 2-3 days. I recommend rolling the cookie dough into balls first while the dough is soft. You can then store them in an airtight container in the fridge. When you’re ready to bake, bring the cookie dough back to room temperature and then bake. Alternatively, you can freeze the cookie dough for up to two months.
Storage: Keep cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.