I have just eaten the very last crumb of these gorgeous cookies and I’m pumped to share the recipe with you. I always love being able to share a recipe soon after I’ve made it as I’m still in the ‘oh-my-gosh-I-love-this-recipe-and-I-must-share-it-now’ phase.
And today is perfect because I still have the lingering taste of cinnamon on my lips. Sooo let me tell you straight up these Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies are ah-mazing! They are chewy and warm with a touch of cinnamon, a handful of hearty oats and plenty of sticky raisins.
Here in Australia, we have a similar oat cookie that is an all-time favourite – the Anzac Biscuit. It is also chocked full of rolled oats but is typically flavoured with sweet golden syrup. I feel like these cookies are the American version. The brown sugar creates a gorgeously rich caramel flavour and the raisins add a lovely chew.
I’m still wondering where raisins have been all my life. I used loads of them when I was making my Rum and Raisin Ice Cream a few months ago and I couldn’t get enough. Here in Australia sultanas are more commonly used in baking but I think raisins are far plumper and juicier!
So these Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. My advice when baking them is to make them slightly bigger than perhaps you normally would. I don’t know why but oatmeal cookies are meant to be big. This batch makes around 11 or 12 large cookies. Remember my Monster M&M Peanut Butter Cookies?
Just like those, these will be VERY fragile when they first come out of the oven, so leave them to cool on the oven tray for a good 15 minutes before removing onto a wire rack very carefully. You will also need to wait until they cool completely before eating them as they will firm up considerably (in a good way) – remember patience is a virtue!
So since I won’t be back with a new recipe until Monday, I wanted to say Happy Valentine’s Day! I have actually been in America twice on Valentine’s Day so I know it’s a big deal over there – I’ve seen those displays in Target! And I’m sure I’m not the only one who has romantic desserts flooding my Pinterest feed.
For me, Valentine’s Day was never a big thing because it was my brother’s birthday. And now, it’s the day before my wedding anniversary so I feel more partial to the 13th rather than the 14th. But I’ll take any excuse to celebrate with a box of chocolates! 😉
Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies with a touch of cinnamon, a handful of hearty oats and plenty of sticky raisins.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 80 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 105 grams (3/4 cup) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 100 grams (1 cup) whole rolled oats
- 120 grams (3/4 cup) raisins
- In a large mixing bowl, add the butter and sugars and beat using an electric beater for a minute or two until smooth and creamy. Add the egg and the vanilla and beat until combined, scrapping down the sides.
- Add sifted flour, baking soda and cinnamon and stir using a wooden spoon. Add the rolled oats and the raisins and mix through.
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Roll tablespoons of the mixture into balls and place on the baking trays, leaving room for the cookies to flatten out. Place in oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown on the edges.
- Leave cookies to cool before gently moving to a wire rack to cool completely. They will be quite fragile until they cool completely so be patient! Then enjoy with a cold glass of milk.