The perfect Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf made from scratch. This lovely one bowl loaf cake is light and fluffy and made with fresh lemons and drizzled with a sugary glaze.
Love lemons?! 💛
If so, you’ll adore this lovely Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf. Soft and sweet, this one bowl lemon cake is so easy to throw together and is a total crowd pleaser.
Drizzled with a tangy lemon glaze, it’s my new fave thing.
I had Lemon Poppy Seed on my mind recently, so I jumped into the kitchen to create a light and moist Lemon Poppy Seed Bread that would rival any store bought kind. It’s the sort of cake you buy to have with a coffee when you’re out, but have you ever made it at home?
It’s incredible easy, and for a similar price, you’ll get twice as many thick, moreish slices to enjoy. But the best part is you can enjoy a piece warm from the oven – amazing!
Just like my popular Cinnamon Apple Cake, this Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf uses oil to make a super light and fluffy loaf. We also add fresh lemon juice and zest for plenty of flavour, not to mention a showering of trusty poppy seeds!
This recipe is going straight to the top of my ‘easy-but-oh-so-tasty-recipes’ to whip out when guests are coming over. It’s perfect for morning or afternoon tea or as a treat for the lunchbox. And it freezes really well too!
Trust me, you’re going to want to make this Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf over and over again! Promise ❤️
TIPS FOR MAKING PERFECT LEMON POPPY SEED LOAF
- This is a simple one bowl recipe – no electric mixer required.
- Use a neutral oil for this recipe. I usually use vegetable oil, but I’ve also used a light olive oil or you could use grape seed oil.
- I recommend using fresh lemon juice and zest as suggested in the recipe for maximum flavour.
- Try not to over bake this cake. Every oven is different, so start checking the loaf from about 45 minutes onwards. Insert a butter knife or skewer into the centre of the cake, if it comes out clean, you know the cake is ready.
- If the cake starts to go brown on the top and edges but is still not cooked in the centre, place a piece of aluminium foil on top in the last 10 minutes of cooking to help prevent the top from overcooking.
- The glaze is simply three ingredients – icing sugar, lemon juice and milk. To make it a little thinner, add an extra teaspoon of lemon juice, or if you would like it thicker, add another tablespoon or two of sugar. Make your cake is completely warm before adding the glaze otherwise it will just melt right into the cake!
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Hungry for more? Join me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter for more amazing recipe ideas.
Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf
Soft and fluffy Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf made with fresh lemons.
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
- 250 grams (1 and 1/4 cups) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Zest of one lemon
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) greek yoghurt
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) full fat or whole milk
- 60 grams (1/2 cup) icing sugar or powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon full fat or whole milk
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Grease and line a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add oil, sugar, vanilla, eggs, lemon juice and zest. Whisk briefly to combine.
- Add flour, baking powder, poppy seeds and yogurt. Start to stir and then add the milk. Gently mix until combined – but be careful not to over mix.
- Add batter to prepared tin. Bake loaf for approximately 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. If you find the top of your loaf is browning too much, simply add a piece of aluminium foil over the top towards the end of cooking.
- To make the glaze, stir together sugar, lemon juice and milk. If the glaze is too thick, add an extra teaspoon of lemon juice. Drizzle over cake once it’s completely cooled and serve.
Leave a Comment