Soft and fluffy Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf made with fresh lemons.
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
- 250 grams (1 and 1/4 cups) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Zest of one lemon
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) greek yoghurt
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) milk
- 60 grams (1/2 cup) icing or powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon milk
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Grease and line a 9 x 5 inch rectangular loaf pan with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add oil, sugar, vanilla, eggs, lemon juice and zest. Whisk briefly to combine.
- Add flour, baking powder, poppy seeds and yogurt. Start to stir and then add the milk. Gently mix until combined – but be careful not to over mix.
- Add batter to prepared tin. Bake loaf for approximately 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. If you find the top of your loaf is browning too much, simply add a piece of aluminium foil over the top towards the end of cooking.
- To make the glaze, stir together sugar, lemon juice and milk. If the glaze is too thick, add an extra teaspoon of lemon juice. Drizzle over cake once it’s completely cooled and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 318
Keywords: Lemon Poppy Seed Cake, Lemon Poppy Seed Bread