My all-time favourite Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies. These amazing cookies are made using melted butter, so they’re extra soft and chewy, with crispy edges and plenty of chocolate chips!
Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies – is there anything better? ❤️
These soft and chewy cookies are made using melted butter which ensures a super soft and buttery texture – my absolute favourite. Take that texture and add a bucketload of chocolate chips and you have the perfect chocolate chip cookie.
Honestly, I’d take one of these Chocolate Chip Cookies over almost ANY other dessert.
Did you know this is one of the very first recipes I ever posted on Sweetest Menu, way back in 2014. And it’s still to this day one of my absolute favourite things to make AND eat.
I mean really, is there anything better than a fresh out of the oven Chocolate Chip Cookie? One that’s gooey in the middle and loaded with chocolate chips?
But while the recipe stands the test of time, my photos certainly didn’t. So I’ve republished the recipe today with improved photos and instructions. I hope you love them as much I do.
This Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe produces golden brown cookies that just about melt-in-your-mouth. The secret is in the melted butter and brown sugar.
The melted butter ensures they stay soft and chewy even after they cool. But because of this, you HAVE chill the cookie dough. Sorry, there’s no way around it but the results are TOTALLY worth it. Trust me!
Chilling the dough will help prevent the cookies from spreading too much in the oven, as it gives the butter time to firm up again.
Meanwhile, the brown sugar adds flavour and moisture.
Obviously there are so many variations of cookies these days, but the old Classic Chocolate Chip Cookie is still one of the best.
You’ll find these cookies produce a nice buttery dough that blends perfectly with milk chocolate chips. Of course, you could add whatever chips you prefer, white, dark, even butterscotch!
For extra chocolatey goodness, you can even get a block of chocolate and cut it by hand instead of choc chips. Either way – deliciousness guaranteed!
Tips for making perfect chocolate chip cookies
- You can just use a bowl and wooden spoon to make these cookies, you don’t have to use an electric mixer.
- When melting the butter, just use the microwave. Keep checking it every 20 or 30 seconds or so, until the butter is mostly melted and you can stir with a fork to get rid of any lumps. You don’t need to melt the butter until it’s hot or bubbly, just until it’s smooth.
- Add the sugars – I use both brown sugar and caster sugar in this recipe. If you don’t have caster sugar, swap for granulated sugar.
- Add vanilla and egg, then sift in flour and baking soda. Stir together until a soft cookie dough forms.
- Lastly, add chocolate chips – a whole cup! You can use any chocolate chips you like. I prefer milk chocolate chips.
- Melted butter is used in this recipe which means these cookies MUST be chilled before baking. If you baked the cookies straight away, they would spread way too much in the oven. You need to give the butter time to set and get cold again.
- Spoon out your cookie dough and roll into balls using your hands. Place on oven trays that have been lined with baking or greaseproof paper. Leave room for the cookies to spread out and bake until just golden on the edges. The cookies will firm up as they cool.
More cookie recipes to try:
- Classic Peanut Butter Cookies
- Cornflake Marshmallow Cookies
- Malted Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
More tips for making the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie.
Watch how to make it
Classic soft and chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies made with melted butter.
- 115 grams (1 stick or 1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cup) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 150 grams (1 cup) chocolate chips, plus extra for decorating
- Place butter in a heatproof bowl and heat in the microwave until JUST melted. You don’t want the butter to be hot, but just soft enough to stir with a fork until smooth.
- Add sugars, vanilla and egg and stir until smooth. Add flour, baking soda and salt and stir until soft cookie dough forms. Add chocolate chips and stir until combined.
- Chill cookie dough in the fridge for AT LEAST one hour.
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line two baking trays with baking or parchment paper.
- Roll balls of cookie dough, approximately 1.5 tablespoons each, using your hands and place on prepared oven trays, leaving room for the cookie to spread.
- Bake cookies for 10-11 minutes. While the cookies are still warm, add a few extra chocolate chips on top.