A no bake Chocolate Chip Cookie Icebox Cake perfect for entertaining. This deliciously easy cake is made with store-bought cookies, whipped cream and a handful of chocolate chips.
If you need a no bake cake recipe in a jiffy, I’ve got you sorted ❤️
This Chocolate Chip Cookie Icebox Cake only uses five ingredients and is hands down, one of the easiest desserts on Sweetest Menu.
Layers of chocolate chip cookies coated in fluffy chocolate whipped cream and a showering of chocolate chips.
Have you ever had an icebox cake before? I tried my first one in New York at Magnolia Bakery. In short, it’s usually a messy mixture of cookies and cream that magically transform into a cake-like dessert.
So how does this Chocolate Chip Icebox Cookie work?
First, there’s a layer of store bought (yes, store bought!) chocolate chip cookies. The thick, chunky kind works well.
Now, I’m ALL about homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies 99% of the time, but in this case, you need store bought ones because they are nice and hard – perfect for soaking up all of that creamy goodness.
Next, is a thick layer of homemade whipped chocolate cream, flavoured using a few spoonfuls of cocoa powder and icing or powdered sugar. Then, another layer of cookies and more cream. The final touch – a sprinkling of chocolate chips.
Seriously, that’s it. It comes together in about ten minutes flat. Talk about e-a-s-y. It will test your patience though because it is best left overnight. Eight hours of meshing means the cookies completely change texture and become soft – like cake.
And there you have it, a chocolately, no bake, icebox dessert AKA the best thing ever. It is perfect for entertaining because you can whip it up the night before and voila, it’s all done.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE ICEBOX CAKE
- This no bake cake is so easy to make – it only takes about 10 minutes to throw together. But it does need at least 8 hours to set – I recommend making it the night before serving.
- Start by whipping your cream using an electric mixer. You want the cream to form stiff peaks. Then add cocoa powder and sugar to stir by hand to form a delicious chocolate whipped cream.
- You need to use store-bought cookies for this recipe – not homemade chocolate chip cookies. Starting with hard, crunchy cookies will give the cake stability. They will then go soft over time as the cream soaks in.
- To serve, scatter over a few chocolate chips and serve cold from the fridge.
MORE NO BAKE RECIPES TO TRY:
- Chocolate Mousse Cake
- Raspberry Chocolate Cheesecake
- Nutella Oreo Cheesecake
- Chocolate Malt Mousse Pie
- Candy Bar Chocolate Tart
Incredible icebox cake made with chocolate chip cookies and whipped chocolate cream.
- 600 ml (2 and 1/2 cups) thickened or heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons icing or powdered sugar
- 440 grams (approximately 18 large) store bought chocolate chip cookies
- 240 ml (1 cup) milk
- 100 grams (2/3 cup) chocolate chips
- Line an 8 or 9 inch springform cake baking with baking or parchment paper.
- Start by whipping your cream using an electric beater until it forms stiff peaks. Sift in cocoa powder and sugar. Stir until chocolate cream is smooth and creamy.
- To assemble, dip your cookies, one at a time, in milk. Then arrange cookies in the bottom of your cake tin in one layer. Break up a few cookies to fill in the gaps (it’s ok if it’s not perfect).
- Add a little less than half of your cream. Spread it across the cookies in one even layer.
- Repeat with another layer of cookies. Dipping them in milk and then adding them on top of your cream. Add the remaining cream and smooth it out to form an even layer. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 8 hours or even better, overnight.
- Before serving, sprinkle over the chocolate chips. Gently run a butter knife around the edges and then loose and remove the side of the tin. Cut and serve.
You can eat this cake after 4-6 hours but the cookie won’t be completely soft – still delicious though!
This recipe was first published on Sweetest Menu in July 2016.