This Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake is perfect for your next party or celebration. A big, buttery cookie stuffed with chocolate and decorated with creamy chocolate frosting and funfetti sprinkles.
I will celebrate anything if there’s a cookie involved 💜
So today, let’s simply celebrate being alive with this Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake, topped creamy chocolate frosting.
Who’s with me? 🙋♀️
I first published this recipe back in 2015, but I was dying to reshoot it as my original photos did not do it justice. So here she is.
A Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie that’s loaded with chocolate chunks. To make her even more irresistible, we added clouds of choc frosting. And sprinkles.
I know cookie cakes or cookie pies are not exactly ‘trendy’ anymore but I still can’t get enough of them. Cookies are my all-time favourite thing to make (and eat) so making one giant one just seems like a no-brainer. I’ve shared quite a few with you over the years ->
- M&M Candy Cookie Pie
- Triple Chocolate Cookie Cake
- M&M Chocolate Cookie Cake
- Oreo Stuffed M&M Cookie Cake
You get all the joy of baking cookies without having to chill the dough or roll the cookie dough into balls. Within 15 minutes, you can have this baby baking in the oven.
But since this is a ‘cake’ after all, we just had to add frosting. And not just any frosting.
This luscious buttercream has cream cheese in it. I know, I know. Where does it end? But seriously, it’s my secret weapon for the most glorious frosting.
And then I added sprinkles.
This Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake is perfect for your next birthday or celebration or party of one (no judgement here). It’s quick and easy to make – the kids can help too.
The cake itself is soft and chewy with a crumbly edge. It’s filled to the brim with chocolate and if you eat it while it’s still a tiny bit warm, the chocolate will be ooey and gooey.
A big buttery chocolate chip cookie frosted with chocolate frosting.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) butter, softened
- 135 grams (3/4 cup) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 175 grams (1 and 1/4 cups) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornflour or cornstarch
- 150 grams (1 cup) milk or dark chocolate chunks
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 375 grams (3 cups) icing sugar or powdered sugar
- 20 grams (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) full fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1–2 tablespoons full fat whole milk
- Funfetti sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Grease and line an 8-inch round springform cake tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until combined. Add vanilla and egg and continue to beat until soft and creamy. Sift in flour, baking soda and cornflour. Gently fold until dough starts to come together.
- Throw in chocolate and fold through. Place all the dough into your prepared tin and press down and spread out as even as possible. Press a few extra chocolate chunks in the top.
- Bake for 18 – 20 minutes or until golden brown. Try not to overcook as you want it soft and gooey in the middle. Leave to cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until creamy and smooth and then sift in half the icing sugar. Add a tablespoon of milk to help loosen up the mixture. Add the rest of the icing sugar and cocoa powder and continue to beat. Add cream cheese and beat until smooth.
- Add an extra tablespoon of milk if the frosting is too thick. It should be nice and creamy but thick enough to hold its shape. Pipe the icing onto the cake and then cut and serve. Add sprinkles, if desired.
*There is more than enough chocolate frosting to decorate this cookie. You could add more frosting to the cookie or bake a second cookie. Or just enjoy the leftover frosting. You can halve the frosting recipe but I always like there to be too much rather than too little.
This recipe was first published on Sweetest Menu in January 2015.