The BEST Vegan Brownies I’ve ever had! They’re fudgy, full of chocolate and completely dairy free, egg-free and vegan. Made without any weird ingredients, you’d never believe Vegan Brownies could taste this good! Sponsored by Almond Breeze Australia.
These homemade Vegan Brownies defy every brownie rule.
They’re rich without butter. Fudgy without eggs. And they even have that crisp, shiny brownie crackle that everyone loves ❤️ with oodles of rich chocolate flavour.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Vegan Brownies.
why you will love this recipe
- The Vegan Brownies are soft, chewy and fudgy
- You don’t need any weird or hard-to-find ingredients
- They take only minutes to make
- No electric mixer needed
This past week, I had a big task: Make a delicious chocolate brownie WITHOUT using butter, eggs or milk. It took 6 attempts to get there, but I’m so happy with the results.
These Vegan Brownies are AMAZING and seriously rival a regular homemade brownie or boxed brownie. They have chewy edges, a fudgy choc centre and even a crackly top that makes you want to dive face-first into the pan.
First, I tried an oil-based brownie recipe just without eggs to see what happens. For ease, I wanted to avoid using flax eggs or any egg replacements. They tasted good, but fell apart. Next, I tried adding apple puree. These brownies held their shape but surprisingly went a little rubbery. Next, I tried adding a little melted chocolate and reduced the amount of almond milk. They were the worst of all – flat and oily!
Then I tried adding almond butter but they were meh! I started to get a little desperate at this stage and my fridge was overflowing with below-average brownies.
Version 5, I switched from a cocoa-based brownie to using real chocolate, while also reducing the oil and increasing the almond milk. The flavour and texture were much better but they were almost cake-like. Not cakey but actual cake. Finally, I tweaked the measurements and version 6 was pure perfection. 👌🏻
ingredients you will need
The best part about these Vegan Brownies is you only need a handful of ingredients – none of which are speciality items. Like my favourite Gluten Free Brownie recipe, I only wanted to use regular ingredients. Here’s what you will need to make a batch today:
- Plain flour: Or all purpose flour.
- Cocoa powder: I recommend using 100% natural cocoa powder – not sweetened cocoa or chocolate powder.
- Caster sugar: Or granulated sugar.
- Vegetable oil: Or any netural flavourless oil.
- Vanilla extract
- Vegan dark chocolate: A dairy-free dark chocolate that is somewhere between 50-70% cocoa is ideal.
- Almond milk: I tested this recipe using almond milk, but it is likely that other dairy-free milks will also work. Let me know in the comments if you try an alternative.
- Vegan chocolate chips: Totally optional, but makes these brownies extra special.
You don’t need any baking powder or baking soda in this recipe. Using a raising agent will change the result from fudgy brownie to something more resembling cake.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN BROWNIES
- You’ll love how quick and easy these Vegan Brownies are to make! All you need is a bowl and spoon – no electric mixer required.
- These chocolate brownies use real chocolate for better flavour and texture. If you simply want these to be egg-free, you can use regular dark chocolate, but for Vegan Brownies, you’ll need to hunt down dairy-free dark chocolate.
- Stir together the dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients – it’s as simple as that! Just try not to over-mix. Only mix until there are no more pockets of flour.
- The chocolate chips are optional – I’ve tried with and without – both are delish.
- Try not to over-bake these brownies as they will turn very cakey. Bake just until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave them to cool completely. For a fudgier brownie, place them in the fridge for a few hours – they’ll turn SUPER fudgy.
HOW TO STORE VEGAN BROWNIES
- These brownies are best kept in the fridge. You can serve them cold, at room temperature, or if you would like to enjoy them warm, microwave them for 10-15 seconds. You can also freeze any leftovers!
more brownie recipes you’ll love
Deliciously thick and fudgy Vegan Brownies made without butter, milk or eggs.
- 140 grams (1 cup) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 20 grams (1/4 cup) cocoa powder, sifted
- 200 grams (1 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200 grams (1/2 cup) dairy free (vegan) dark chocolate, melted
- 240 ml (1 cup) Almond Breeze Original Almond Milk
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) dairy free (vegan) chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line an 8-inch square pan with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, cocoa powder and sugar and gently whisk to mix.
- Add oil, vanilla, melted chocolate and almond milk. Mix with a wooden spoon until smooth and combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and mix gently.
- Tranfer brownie batter to prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Try not to over bake or brownies will turn cakey*.
*I recommend putting the brownies in the fridge for a few hours to firm up – they’ll also turn super fudgy.
**Some reader feedback has been that these brownies take slightly longer to cook. I use a fan-forced oven and mine are always perfect at the 25-30 minute mark. If you are not using a fan-forced oven, you can turn the temperature up to 180C / 360 F. Please note that every oven is different, and if they need a little extra time in the oven, they’ll still be delicious.