The ultimate Turtle Pie featuring a homemade pecan cookie crust and a creamy brown sugar caramel. Topped with a two-ingredient chocolate ganache, it’s a truly indulgent dessert.
The most perfect pie 💕
Today, we’re celebrating all things chocolate, caramel and pecans – just like the famous American candy bars called Turtles. This indulgent pie features a homemade pecan cookie crust, a creamy brown sugar caramel and a gooey chocolate topping.
If you can eat caramel with a spoon and think everrrry day should be pie day, this Turtle Pie is for you.
It was in America that I first discovered the wonderful combo of pecans, caramel and chocolate. There’s just something about chewy caramel, crunchy nuts and creamy chocolate that’s seriously magical.
And that’s what we are channeling with this pie. Let me break it down:
First’s there’s the crust. Instead of using store bought cookies or making a pastry crust, we’re making our own cookie crust. This buttery crust is made using just a few ingredients and it’s baked in the oven until golden. It’s a little like shortbread – and just about melts-in-your-mouth.
Next up is the caramel made with sweetened condensed milk. It’s the same caramel that I use in my Banoffee Pie – one of my most popular recipes. It’s seriously sticky, chewy and oh-so-sweet in the best kind of way.
The final touch? A thick layer of chocolate ganache and a sprinkling of roasted pecans. All-in-all, it’s a crunchy, creamy, chocolate-y treat. Are you ready for this?
TIPS FOR MAKING TURTLE PIE
There are few tips and tricks to making the perfect Turtle Pie. This pie has three main parts, which I’ve broken down below >
HOW TO MAKE PECAN COOKIE CRUST
- The pecan cookie crust is made from scratch. All you need to do is mix the dry ingredients – flour, sugar and cornflour and finely chopped pecans – with the melted butter. The finer you chop the pecans, the easer it will be to press the cookie crust into the pie plate.
- Add cookie crumb to an oven-proof pie plate. Press into the bottom and sides of the pan, using the back of spoon, so it forms an even crust. It’ll be a little rustic looking – this is ok.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until just golden on the edges. Leave to cool for about 15 minutes before adding the caramel.
HOW TO MAKE BROWN SUGAR CARAMEL
- This caramel is made using just three ingredients – sweetened condensed milk, butter and brown sugar.
- Place all three ingredients in a small or medium-sized saucepan on a medium heat. Stir until melted and smooth, then bring to the boil. You’ll need to make sure you are stirring at all times so the caramel doesn’t stick.
- To make sure the caramel sets, you need to keep it on the heat for at least 3-5 minutes. Leave to cool slightly before pouring into your prepared crust. You’ll need to give the caramel at least 6-8 hours, or even better overnight, to set.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- Have you ever made chocolate ganache before? You are going to love it. I use it all the time to make drips on my layer cakes or to make the perfect Chocolate Tart or creamy Chocolate Truffles. It tastes amazing and is extremely versatile when it comes to desserts.
- All you need to do it chop your chocolate by hand. You can use milk or dark chocolate. I prefer dark chocolate as it is just sweet enough. You can also use chocolate chips. Add chocolate and cream together and heat in the microwave, stirring regularly, until smooth.
Homemade Turtle Pie with a pecan cookie crust.
Pecan cookie crust
- 140 grams (1 cup) plain flour
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or cornflour
- 110 grams (1 cup) pecans, finely chopped
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
Brown sugar caramel
- 240 ml (1 cup) sweetened condensed milk
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- Pinch of sea salt
- 225 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) dark (or milk) chocolate, roughly chopped
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) thickened or heavy cream
- 110 grams (1 cup) pecans, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. In a mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, cornflour and pecans. Pour over melted butter and stir together until mixture resembles wet sand.
- Pour cookie crumbs into an 8 inch pie plate. Press crumbs into bottom and sides using the back of a spoon to form one even layer. It may be a bit rustic – this is ok.
- Bake cookie crust for 15 minutes or until crust is golden on the edges. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the caramel. Add sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar and butter in a medium saucepan and place on a low-medium heat.
- Stir gently until all the ingredients have combined and continue to cook for a 3-5 minutes until the caramel thickens and the sugar is completely melted. Add a pinch of salt. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Pour caramel over baked cookie crust. Place in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, make the chocolate ganache. Place chocolate and cream into a bowl. Heat in the microwave, stirring every 20 seconds, until combined and smooth. Leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Pour the ganache over the caramel and spread to the corners. Scatter chopped pecans on top. Refrigerate pie for at least 6 hours or, even better, overnight.
Keywords: Turtle Pie, Caramel Pie, Chocolate Caramel Pie