Prep: 400 minutesCook: 15 minutesTotal: 6 hours 55 minutes
Homemade Turtle Pie with a pecan cookie crust.
Pecan cookie crust
- 140 grams (1 cup) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or cornflour
- 110 grams (1 cup) pecans, finely chopped
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) butter, melted
Brown sugar caramel
- 240 ml (1 cup) sweetened condensed milk
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- Pinch of sea salt
- 225 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) dark (or milk) chocolate, roughly chopped
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) thickened or heavy cream
- 110 grams (1 cup) pecans, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. In a mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, cornflour and pecans. Pour over melted butter and stir together until mixture resembles wet sand.
- Pour cookie crumbs into an 8 inch pie plate. Press crumbs into bottom and sides using the back of a spoon to form one even layer. It may be a bit rustic – this is ok.
- Bake cookie crust for 15 minutes or until crust is golden on the edges. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the caramel. Add sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar and butter in a medium saucepan and place on a low-medium heat.
- Stir gently until all the ingredients have combined and continue to cook for a 3-5 minutes until the caramel thickens and the sugar is completely melted. Add a pinch of salt. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Pour caramel over baked cookie crust. Place in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, make the chocolate ganache. Place chocolate and cream into a bowl. Heat in the microwave, stirring every 20 seconds, until combined and smooth. Leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Pour the ganache over the caramel and spread to the corners. Scatter chopped pecans on top. Refrigerate pie for at least 6 hours or, even better, overnight.
Category: PiesCuisine: American