Soft and tender Blueberry Banana Bread made from scratch. Filled with fresh bananas, warm cinnamon and juicy blueberries, this Blueberry Banana Bread is the perfect snack.
Blueberries + bananas = THIS 💜
If you’re anything like me, you’ll fall head over heels for this soft and tender Banana Bread, studded with soft blueberries and baked until golden. Cut into thick slices and smear it with butter for a true banana-licious treat.
If you love juicy blueberries and could eat banana bread for breakfast, lunch or tea, THIS IS FOR YOU.
I recently shared my recipe for Chocolate Chip Banana Bread. I’ve been seeing all your gorgeous creations on Instagram (which I love 💕) so I thought it was time to share one of the other ways I love to eat banana bread.
This time with blueberries.
Fresh, juicy blueberries that take regular banana bread to the NEXT LEVEL. Seriously, I’m not sure I can go back now. I’ve tried this bread with both frozen and fresh blueberries and I gotta say, it’s a winner 👌🏻
Just like my favourite Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, this b-bread is an easy mix and stir recipe – no electric mixer required. Simply combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients, along with the mashed banana and blueberries.
It’s super easy to throw together. And you can make a batch on the weekend and freeze it for morning tea all week long. In fact, I just had a slice from own freezer for dessert. Drizzled with a little honey (and a lot of butter) – it’s delish.
Of course, if you’re not a blueberry fan (can we still be friends?!), you can stick with my regular Chocolate Chip Banana Bread. And if you love all things chocolate, go for my Chocolate Banana Bread.
And if you can’t get enough blueberry things in your life, you gotta try my Blueberry Bread. It’s soft, sweet and oh-so-tender.
Now there is no excuse to leave those blueberries sitting around in your freezer. Let’s do this! 👊🏻
TIPS FOR MAKING BLUEBERRY BANANA BREAD
- This recipe is made using just a bowl and spoon – no electric mixer needed. First, combine all the dry ingredients and stir briefly.
- Then it’s time to sort out the wet ingredients. Melt your butter in the microwave until JUST melted (it doesn’t need to be hot and bubbly), then add your eggs, vanilla and milk.
- Next comes the bananas. For the most flavourful banana bread, use overripe spotty bananas. The smellier the better.
- When you mash your banana, mash it well with a fork. If you have too many big chunks, they will end up in your banana bread as wet, smooshy bits – ew.
- Stir mix until JUST combined – do not overmix.
- You can use fresh OR frozen blueberries. I prefer fresh for maximum flavour – frozen berries also tend to bleed a little in the batter.
- It’s easy to accidentally under bake banana bread. I suggest double checking it’s cooked by inserting a skewer in the middle and seeing if it comes out clean. If it starts to brown too much on the top, cover with alfoil and continue to bake.
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERMILK FROM SCRATCH
- If you don’t have any buttermilk on hand, try making your own buttermilk from scratch. Add one tablespoon of white vinegar to 1 cup of milk. Leave for 5 minutes to curdle, then use as normal. I use this trick ALL the time because I never have buttermilk on hand.
Soft and tender Blueberry Banana Bread made from scratch.
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cup) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 VERY ripe bananas (2/3 cup mashed)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) buttermilk
- 110 grams (1 cup) fresh blueberries*
- Grease and line a 9 x 5 inch baking tin with baking or parchment paper. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add sugar and cinnamon and gently stir.
- In the microwave, heat the butter until just melted, stirring in between 10 second bursts. Remove the butter and set aside to cool slightly. Meanwhile, mash your bananas very well using a fork.
- Next, add eggs, vanilla and buttermilk to your cooled butter and whisk gently until combined. Make a well in the middle of your dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients and the mashed banana.
- Throw in the blueberries. Very gently stir until the mixture is just combined – be careful not to over mix.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared tin and bake for approximately 45-50 minutes* or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
*You can use fresh or frozen blueberries – I personally prefer fresh for maximum flavour!
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 322
Keywords: Banana Bread, Blueberry Banana Bread, Banana. Blueberry Bread