Everyone needs a go-to banana bread recipe, am I right? This banana bread is my all-time favourite. It boasts a soft and tender crumb, is packed with banana flavour and can be baking in your oven within twenty minutes. This is one easy recipe and you probably have all the ingredients sitting in your pantry right now.
A hint of cinnamon and a handful of chocolate chips, makes it one tasty treat. Plus you can feel good about putting those overripe bananas to good use. Just be sure to slice a thick piece fresh from the oven, smear it with a little butter and call it a day. I know I did!
When crafting this recipe I had a few boxes it just had to tick. One was I wanted a mix and stir recipe. No getting out the electric mixer. I also didn’t want to have to wait for the butter to soften, because if your anything like me, when the craving for banana bread hits, you want it instantly.
I wanted a good old fashioned stir and mix recipe but I certainly didnt want to compromise on flavour. So this baby is packed with gorgeous spices like nutmeg and cinnamon, has three whole bananas and a smattering of chocolate chips.
If you prefer, you could swap out the chocolate chips for chopped walnuts or leave them out entirely if you are a banana bread purist. Either way you will end up with a lovely flavourful banana bread with a golden crust and a soft cake centre that will leave you begging for seconds.
This banana loaf is the perfect baked good to make ahead of time and freeze for the kids lunches or for when that banana bread craving hits. Also if you don’t have buttermilk on hand, which I generally don’t, simply make your own by adding 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to one cup of milk.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Packed with bananas and choc chips, this Chocolate Chip Banana Bread boasts a soft and tender crumb and is so easy to make!
- Yield: Serves 8
- 175 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 135 grams (3/4 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 60ml (1/4 cup) buttermilk
- 3 mashed medium bananas
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) milk or dark chocolate chips
- Grease and line your 9 x 5 inch baking tin with baking or parchment paper. Preheat your oven to 180 C (360 F). In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and gently stir. In the microwave, heat the butter in a large heatproof bowl until just melted, stirring in between 10 second bursts. Remove the butter and set aside to cool slightly. Meanwhile, mash your bananas well using a fork.
- Next, add your vanilla, egg and buttermilk to your cooled butter and whisk gently until combined. Make a well in the middle of your dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients and the mashed banana. Very gently fold the mixture using a spatula or wooden spoon until the mixture is just combined – be careful not to over mix. Throw in the chocolate chips. Pour the mixture into your prepared tin and bake for approximately 40 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack.