A soft and moist Chocolate Chip Banana Bread made from scratch.
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cup) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) buttermilk
- 3 ripe bananas (1 cup mashed)
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) milk or dark chocolate chips
- Grease and line a 9 x 5 inch baking tin with baking or parchment paper. Preheat oven to 180 C (360 F). In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and gently stir.
- In the microwave, heat the butter until just melted, stirring in between 10 second bursts. Remove the butter and set aside to cool slightly. Meanwhile, mash your bananas very well using a fork.
- Next, add vanilla, egg and buttermilk to your cooled butter and whisk gently until combined. Make a well in the middle of your dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients and the mashed banana. Throw in the chocolate chips. Very gently stir until the mixture is just combined – be careful not to over mix.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared tin and bake for approximately 40-50 minutes* or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
*If your banana bread is getting too brown, cover with aluminium foil at the 40 minute mark and continue baking until cooked through.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 397
Keywords: Banana, Bread, Chocolate chip banana bread