The BEST Chocolate Banana Bread I’ve ever had! A soft and moist Chocolate Banana Bread filled to the brim with ripe bananas, cocoa, cinnamon and a handful of milk chocolate chips.
Chocolate lovers unite 💕
Just when you thought banana bread couldn’t get any better, we added a bucketload of chocolate. This gorgeous Chocolate Banana Bread is my new favourite obsession.
Soft and moist banana cake filled to the brim with milk chocolate chips.
A few weeks ago, one of my readers asked if I had a recipe for Chocolate Banana Bread. I didn’t, but I was inspired to get to work. So here she is 👆🏻
My recipe for Chocolate Banana Bread that’s easy, sweet and downright delicious. It also freezes really well too!
So when you have overripe bananas sitting in your fruit bowl, you know what you have to do. And trust me, you won’t regret it. This Chocolate Banana Bread is soft and sweet, with just the right amount of chocolate and banana.
My advice? Bake this cake and cut it into thick slices. Smother it with a little butter, and enjoy for a delicious morning or afternoon tea.
I’ve always loved banana bread and banana cake. But after testing and eating my fair share of Chocolate Banana Bread, I don’t know if I can go back.
There’s just something about the fluffy texture, the hint of banana and cinnamon, and the gooey chocolate chips. It’s the perfect chocolate-covered storm.
How to make Chocolate Banana Bread
- For the most flavourful banana bread, make sure you use very ripe bananas – the more black and spotty the better!
- This is a mix and stir recipe – no electric mixer or beater required. But it’s important not to over mix the batter – this will ensure your cake is soft and fluffy.
- I prefer my banana bread to be less sweet than regular cake. That to me is the difference between cake and ‘bread’. But if you prefer a sweet banana bread, add an extra 1/4 cup of caster sugar – I’ve added this to the notes of the recipe.
- As per the recipe, scatter a few chocolate chips on top before baking – just because it looks good!
Double chocolate banana bread topped with chocolate chips.
- 175 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) plain flour
- 40 grams (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 overripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) milk
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) milk chocolate chips
- Grease and line your 9 x 5 inch baking tin with baking or parchment paper. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder. Add sugars, and cinnamon and gently stir.
- In the microwave, heat the butter in a large heatproof bowl until just melted, stirring in between 10 second bursts. Remove the butter and set aside to cool slightly. Meanwhile, mash your bananas well using a fork.
- Next, add your vanilla, eggs and milk to your cooled butter and whisk gently until combined. Make a well in the middle of your dry ingredients, add wet ingredients and mashed banana. Very gently fold the mixture using a spatula or wooden spoon until the mixture is just combined – be careful not to over mix.
- Add 1/4 cup of chocolate chips to the batter. Pour mixture into prepared tin and sprinkle 1/4 cup of chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for approximately 45-50 minutes* or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
This banana bread is not overly sweet, if you like your banana bread quite sweet like cake, add an extra 1/4 cup of caster sugar – 1/2 cup in total.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 320
Keywords: Banana bread, Chocolate banana bread