Double chocolate banana bread topped with chocolate chips.
- 175 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 40 grams (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) butter
- 2 overripe bananas, 160 grams (2/3 cup) when mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) full fat or whole milk
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) milk chocolate chips
- Grease and line your 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with baking or parchment paper. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder. Add sugars, and cinnamon and gently stir.
- In the microwave, heat the butter in a large heatproof bowl until just melted, stirring in between 10 second bursts. Remove the butter and set aside to cool slightly. Meanwhile, mash your bananas well using a fork.
- Next, add your vanilla, eggs and milk to your cooled butter and whisk gently until combined. Make a well in the middle of your dry ingredients, add wet ingredients and mashed banana. Very gently fold the mixture using a spatula or wooden spoon until the mixture is just combined – be careful not to over mix.
- Add 1/4 cup of chocolate chips to the batter. Pour mixture into prepared tin and sprinkle 1/4 cup of chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for approximately 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
Sugar: This banana bread is not overly sweet, if you like your banana bread quite sweet like cake, add an extra 50 grams (1/4 cup) of caster sugar – 100 grams (1/2 cup) in total.