Soft and tender Nutella Banana Bread made from scratch. This flavourful banana bread has big swirls of Nutella baked right into the batter.
Love banana bread? 💜
Today we’re turning up the dial on one of our favourite snacks with this amazing Nutella Banana Bread!
Not only do we have all the fragrant flavours of cinnamon and banana but also big, beautiful swirls of Nutella!
One of my favourite ways to take baked goods to the next level is by adding Nutella. Remember my Fudgy Nutella Brownies?
Well now you can have all the added chocolate hazelnut goodness of Nutella in your golden banana bread!
I like to eat bananas when they are yellow and ripe but don’t taste too banana-ry (is that a word?). As soon as they start getting black spots on them, I can’t eat them.
But I always save them for my baking. Sometimes I like to make my indulgent Banana Cake and other times, I reach for the Nutella.
This Nutella Swirl Banana Bread is a simple mix and stir recipe, so you don’t even need to get out the electric mixer.
It’s in the oven in no time at all baking to golden, crisp perfection. Ready for you to dive in for morning or afternoon tea. (Or lunch, let’s be real).
What you’ll find, is even with all those swirls of Nutella on top of the batter, the overall Nutella flavour is quite subtle. But it does create a gorgeous crust on the outside of the bread and add a sweet, nutty taste.
I think the perfect way to have this Banana Bread is while it is still warm, smeared with a little extra butter. Or Nutella.
TIPS FOR MAKING PERFECT NUTELLA BANANA BREAD
- This recipe is made using just a bowl and spoon – no electric mixer needed. First, combine all the dry ingredients and stir briefly.
- Then it’s time to sort out the wet ingredients. Melt your butter in the microwave until JUST melted (it doesn’t need to be hot and bubbly), then add your eggs, vanilla and milk.
- Next comes the bananas. For the most flavourful banana bread, use overripe spotty bananas. The smellier the better.
- When you mash your banana, mash it well with a fork. If you have too many big chunks, they will end up in your banana bread as wet, smooshy bits – ew.
- Stir mix until JUST combined – do not over mix.
- It’s easy to accidentally under bake banana bread. I suggest double checking it’s cooked by inserting a skewer in the middle and seeing if it comes out clean. If it starts to brown too much on the top, cover with aluminium foil and continue to bake.
Tender Banana Bread with big swirls of Nutella baked into the batter.
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cup) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 VERY ripe bananas (2/3 cup mashed)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) buttermilk*
- 100 grams (1/3 cup) Nutella
- Grease and line a 9 x 5 inch baking tin with baking or parchment paper. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add sugar and cinnamon and gently stir.
- Heat the butter in the microwave until just melted, stirring in between 10 second bursts. Remove the butter and set aside to cool slightly. Meanwhile, mash your bananas very well using a fork.
- Next, add eggs, vanilla and buttermilk to your cooled butter and whisk gently until combined. Make a well in the middle of your dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients and the mashed banana.
- Very gently stir until the mixture is just combined – be careful not to over mix.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared tin. Then dollop over Nutella and gently swirl using a butter knife.
- Bake for approximately 45-50 minutes** or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
*If you don’t have any buttermilk on hand, try making your own buttermilk from scratch. Add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to 1 cup of milk. Leave for 5 minutes and then use as per the recipe. For this recipe, you can use 1 teaspoon of white vinegar to 1/4 cup of milk.
**If your banana bread is getting too brown, cover with aluminium foil at the 40 minute mark and continue baking until cooked through.
Keywords: Nutella, Banana, Bread