Today we are turning up the dial on one of our favourite snacks, Banana Bread! Not only do we have the fragrant flavours of cinnamon and banana but also big, beautiful swirls of Nutella!
One of my favourite ways to take baked goods to the next level is by adding huge swirls of Nutella. Remember my chewy Fudgy Nutella Swirl Chocolate Brownies? Well now you can have all the added chocolate hazelnut goodness of Nutella in your golden banana bread!
I like to eat bananas when they are yellow and ripe but don’t taste too banana-ry (is that a word?). As soon as they start getting black spots on them, I can’t eat them. But I always save them for my baking. Sometimes I like to make my Easy Banana Snack Cake and other times, I reach for the Nutella.
This Nutella Swirl Banana Bread is a simple mix and stir recipe, so you don’t even need to get out the electric mixer. It is in the oven in no time at all baking to golden, crisp perfection. Ready for you to dive in for morning or afternoon tea. (Or lunch, let’s be real).
What you’ll find, is even with all those swirls of Nutella in and on top of the batter, the overall Nutella flavour is quite subtle. But it does create a gorgeous crust on the outside of the bread and add a sweet, nutty taste.
I think the perfect way to have this Banana Bread is when it is still warm, smeared with a little extra Nutella. Or butter. Either way, you will enjoy a super soft banana cake with golden edges and pockets of gooey Nutella. Hello Thursday!
The other day I watched a video of pastry chef Christina Tosi making an incredible looking banana cream pie. She said the best bananas to use are the ones that are so ripe they are almost rotten (gross!).
I can’t go quite that far but it is true, the riper your bananas, the more flavour they will bring to your baked goods. A good way to get your bananas to ripen quickly is to place them in a dark drawer for a day or two. But please, don’t forget where you put them, otherwise you might be in for nasty banana surprise! #beenthere
A deliciously easy Nutella Swirl Banana Bread with big, beautiful swirls of Nutella baked into the batter.
- 175 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) plain flour
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large overripe bananas
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 150 grams (1/2 cup) greek yogurt
- 150 grams (1/2 cup) Nutella
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (360 F). Grease and line a 8 x 4 inch loaf tin with baking or parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, add the plain flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda. Whisk together to combine.
- Peel and mash your bananas really well with a fork. In a separate bowl, add the vegetable oil, egg, vanilla and greek yogurt. Whisk to combine. Then, add your wet mixture, along with your mashed banana, into your dry mixture and gently fold until combined.
- Warm your Nutella in the microwave for 10-20 seconds, then add 1/4 cup of Nutella into your banana mixture. Very gently fold through (try to keep the Nutella swirls), then pour the batter into your prepared tin. Add the rest of the Nutella on top and gently swirl with a knife.
- Bake your banana bread in the oven for 30 minutes. Then, place a loose piece of alfoil over the top of the bread to help prevent it from going too brown. Bake for another 10 – 15 minutes or until a butter knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes before gently removing the bread from the loaf tin to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 279
Keywords: Nutella, Banana, Bread