Tender Banana Bread with big swirls of Nutella baked into the batter.
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cup) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) butter
- 2 VERY ripe bananas (2/3 cup mashed)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) buttermilk*
- 180 grams (3/4 cup) mashed banana, (2–3 overripe bananas)
- 100 grams (1/3 cup) Nutella
- Grease and line a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with baking or parchment paper. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add sugar and cinnamon and gently stir.
- Heat the butter in the microwave until just melted, stirring in between 10 second bursts. Remove the butter and set aside to cool slightly.
- Next, add eggs, vanilla and buttermilk to your cooled butter and whisk gently until combined. Make a well in the middle of your dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients and the mashed banana.
- Very gently stir until the mixture is just combined – be careful not to over mix.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared tin. Then dollop over Nutella and gently swirl using a butter knife.
- Bake for approximately 45-50 minutes** or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
Buttermilk: If you don’t have any buttermilk on hand, try making your own buttermilk from scratch. Add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to 1 cup of milk. Leave for 5 minutes and then use as per the recipe. For this recipe, you can use 1 teaspoon of white vinegar to 1/4 cup of milk.
Cooking time: If your banana bread is getting too brown, cover with aluminium foil at the 40 minute mark and continue baking until cooked through.