Tender Banana Bread with big swirls of Nutella baked into the batter.
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cup) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 VERY ripe bananas (2/3 cup mashed)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) buttermilk*
- 100 grams (1/3 cup) Nutella
- Grease and line a 9 x 5 inch baking tin with baking or parchment paper. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add sugar and cinnamon and gently stir.
- Heat the butter in the microwave until just melted, stirring in between 10 second bursts. Remove the butter and set aside to cool slightly. Meanwhile, mash your bananas very well using a fork.
- Next, add eggs, vanilla and buttermilk to your cooled butter and whisk gently until combined. Make a well in the middle of your dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients and the mashed banana.
- Very gently stir until the mixture is just combined – be careful not to over mix.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared tin. Then dollop over Nutella and gently swirl using a butter knife.
- Bake for approximately 45-50 minutes** or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
*If you don’t have any buttermilk on hand, try making your own buttermilk from scratch. Add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to 1 cup of milk. Leave for 5 minutes and then use as per the recipe. For this recipe, you can use 1 teaspoon of white vinegar to 1/4 cup of milk.
**If your banana bread is getting too brown, cover with aluminium foil at the 40 minute mark and continue baking until cooked through.