A soft and moist Banana Walnut Snack Cake topped with cream cheese frosting. This easy banana cake is the perfect way to use up the overripe bananas sitting in your fruit bowl.
Hello banana cake.
Everyone needs a few good go-to recipes up their sleeve. This banana cake is one of mine. It has a beautiful tender crumb with a hint of cinnamon and a generous banana flavour.
It’s really simple and easy to make, using only common ingredients. And it freezes really well, so it’s a great one for the lunchbox.
This cake is truly lovely and moist. Using overripe bananas makes the cake burst with flavour, add a little crunch from the walnuts and a hint of cinnamon just sends it over the top.
And to make it the best Banana Snack Cake ever, we’ve covered it in cream cheese frosting. The same frosting that I use in my Hummingbird Cake. It’s rich, creamy and super easy to make. You will love it.
So whether you need a way to use your overripe bananas or an easy cake to feed the kids, this is your answer. To be honest, I could eat handfuls of this cake even without any frosting – it’s that good.
But once you add a generous layer of cream cheese frosting and crunchy walnuts, you’ve got one decadent treat. An altogether unassuming Banana Walnut Cake that will wow your friends and family.
Soft and moist Banana Cake topped with cream cheese frosting.
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 45 grams (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk
- 2 large overripe bananas
- 45 grams (1/2 cup) walnuts, roughly chopped
Cream cheese frosting
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) butter, softened
- 250 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) full fat cream cheese, softened, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 435 grams (3 and 1/2 cups) icing or powdered sugar
- 90 grams (1 cup) chopped walnuts
- Grease and line an 8 inch square cake tin with baking or parchment paper. Preheat oven to 180 C (360 F). In a large bowl, add plain flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
- In a small bowl, peel and mash the bananas well. In a separate large mixing bowl, add butter and sugars and beat with an electric mixer for a a couple of minutes until pale and creamy. Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to the butter mixture, along with buttermilk and the mashed banana. Gently fold with a spatula until just combined. Stir in walnuts. Transfer mixture to prepared pan and bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, add butter and cream cheese to a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla. Add sugar, 1 cup at a time, and continue to beat until smooth.
- Spread frosting on cake and use a small spatula to spread to the edges. Sprinkle over chopped walnuts.
Keywords: Banana cake, Banana snack cake, Banana walnut cake
This recipe was first published on Sweetest Menu in April 2016.