Deliciously golden Sour Cream Cake made from scratch. This simple tea cake is so easy to make and produces a super fluffy cake. Topped with a thick sour cream frosting, it’s soft, light and delish!
Best ever Sour Cream Cake 💕
Introducing my all-time favourite Sour Cream Cake with a soft and tender crumb. This simple one-layer cake is topped with a luscious sour cream buttercream.
It’s quick, easy and oh-so-tasty!
I’ve been on a classic cake bender recently. Have you noticed? I think it all started with my Apple Cake – that has since become a popular reader fave.
And now you and I can obsess over this sweet and simple Sour Cream Cake.
How to make Sour Cream Cake
If you follow me on Instagram, you’ll know it took me 5 tries to get this cake just right. I tried with different amounts and types of sugar, fats, raising agents, sour cream, milk and baking times. I soon landed on the perfect combination that results in a soft and tender Sour Cream Cake.
- This cake is very quick and easy to make. You don’t even need an electric mixer – just a bowl and spoon.
- Start by adding flour, baking powder and sugar into a large mixing bowl. We use caster sugar for this recipe – if you don’t have access to it, you can swap it 1:1 for granulated sugar.
- In a separate bowl, add oil, vanilla and egg. Whisk briefly using a fork just to break up the egg yolk.
- Add to dry ingredients, along with the sour cream. I recommend using a full fat sour cream for this recipe. You can also sub this for full fat Greek yogurt – but use sour cream if you can.
- Stir to combine all ingredients. Cake batter will be super thick as pictured below – this is ok!
- Transfer cake batter to a cake pan lined with baking or parchment paper. Bake for around 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for 15 minutes or so before gently lifting out and placing on a wire rack to cool completely.
How to make Sour Cream Frosting
- This is a simple buttercream that’s made using sour cream instead of milk. It’s thick and creamy and the perfect pairing to the soft and fluffy cake.
- Start with room temperature butter. Beat using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Then add vanilla and icing sugar.
- Make sure you sift your icing sugar or your frosting will have little lumps in it.
- Start to mix on a low speed until frosting starts to come together. Then add sour cream. Continue to mix on a low speed just until frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Spread over the top of your cooled cake. Cut into big slices and enjoy!
How do I store Sour Cream Cake?
Since there’s fresh sour cream in the frosting, you can store this cake in the fridge. However, I tried to avoid keeping my cakes in the fridge as it can dry them out. So my preference is to store the cake in an airtight container at room temperature and only making the frosting when I’m ready to serve it.Print
Soft vanilla Sour Cream Cake made from scratch.
Sour cream cake
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 240 ml (1 cup) full fat sour cream
Sour cream frosting
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 375 grams (3 cups) icing sugar or powdered sugar, sifted
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) full fat sour cream
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Grease and line an 8-inch round baking pan with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder and sugar. In a separate bowl, add oil, vanilla and egg. Beat briefly with fork just to break up the egg yolk.
- Add to dry ingredients along with the sour cream and stir to combine. The cake batter will be very thick (see photo below) – this is ok.
- Transfer cake batter to your cake pan and gently smooth the top. Bake cake for approximately 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Leave cake to cool slightly before carefully removing from cake pan and leaving on a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, add butter to a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and sugar and beat slowly until it starts to come together. Add sour cream and continue to beat until smooth.
- Cover top of cake with sour cream frosting and serve.
Keywords: Sour cream cake, Vanilla cake