Delicious Chocolate Coconut Slice made from scratch. This easy chocolate slice is filled with chocolate chips and topped with a fudgy choc frosting.
Chocolate + coconut = one magical slice! 💜
This fudgy Chocolate Coconut Slice is my go-to bake for an easy morning tea treat or a bake sale favourite. It’s super easy to prepare – you don’t even need an electric mixer – and it tastes amazing.
It’s soft, fudgy and filled to the brim with chocolate and coconut.
Made with only pantry staples, this simple baked chocolate slice serves up big on flavour. And that thick, fudgy, sink-your-teeth-into-it, choc frosting makes it almost like a brownie – in the best kind of way.
It’s simple, easy and oh-so-delicious!
How to make Chocolate Coconut Slice
- This Chocolate Coconut Slice is very easy to make. You don’t need an electric mixer for this recipe. It is baked in the oven, so if you are after a no bake recipe, check out my No Bake Chocolate Slice.
- Begin by melting your butter in the microwave until melted and smooth (but not hot). Add your sugars and vanilla. We use both brown sugar and caster sugar for this recipe. If you don’t have access to caster sugar, you can use granulated sugar instead.
- Add your egg and mix through. Then add your flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and coconut. Stir to combine. Throw in chocolate chips. Your mixture will be thick and sticky. This is perfect!
- Press chocolate mixture into an 8-inch square pan and smooth the top using the back of a spoon or a small spatula – or your fingers (let’s be real).
- Bake slice for approximately 20 minutes or so or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool completely before frosting.
How to make easy Chocolate Frosting
- This frosting is very quick and easy to make. You don’t need an electric mixer, just a bowl and spoon.
- Start by sifting together your icing sugar and cocoa powder. Don’t skip this step as it’ll ensure your frosting is lovely and smooth.
- Add melted butter and 1 tablespoon of boiling water and stir stir stir. If your frosting is a bit thick, add another tablespoon of hot water.
- Quickly spread frosting all over the top of your cooled slice, going right to the edges. Sprinkle over extra coconut.
- Leave frosting to set for 15 minutes or so – you can pop it in the fridge to hurry it up. Then cut into slices to serve.
How do I store my Chocolate Slice?
You can keep your Chocolate Slice in an airtight container in the fridge.
Homemade Chocolate Coconut Slice made from scratch.
Chocolate coconut slice
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) butter
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 140 grams (1 cup) plain flour or all purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 20 grams (1/4 cup) cocoa powder, sifted
- 50 grams (1/2 cup) desiccated coconut
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) chocolate chips
- 190 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) icing sugar or powdered sugar, sifted
- 20 grams (1/4 cup) cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 15 grams (1/4 cup) shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Grease and line an 8-inch square pan with baking or parchment paper.
- Place butter in a heatproof bowl. Heat in the microwave, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted and smooth. Add sugars and vanilla and mix to combine. Add egg and stir.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and coconut and mix until combined. Add the chocolate chips. Mixture will be thick and chocolate-y.
- Place the chocolate batter into your prepared tin and press down to form one even layer.
- Bake in the oven for 20-22 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, sift the icing sugar and cocoa into a large mixing bowl. Add butter and 1 tablespoon of boiling water and stir to combine. If the frosting is too thick, add other tablespoon boiling water.
- Spread frosting over cooled chocolate slice. Sprinkle over shredded coconut. Leave for 10-15 minutes to set. Cut into squares and serve.