Learn how to make Mars Bar Slice from scratch. You only need 4 ingredients for this simple no bake slice, made with chocolate Mars Bars and crunchy Rice Krispies.
Three magical words: Mars Bar Slice 💕
If you’ve never had Mars Bar Slice before, you are in for a mighty fine treat. This popular chocolate slice is oh-so-easy to make, with a crunchy base made from Rice Krispies or Rice Bubbles and melted Mars Bars.
Add a layer of chocolate on top, and I’M DONE.
While Mars Bar Slice is quite popular here in Australia, along with other favourites like Coconut Jam Slice and Passionfruit Slice, I didn’t grow up eating it in my house. But I do remember eating it at my friends’ houses as a kid and always sneaking a second and third slice because it was SO GOOD.
And now I know just how easy it is to make, it’s going to be on regular rotation. Did I tell you only need 4 ingredients? And two of them are chocolate?
So what makes this slice so special? Well, it has an entire bowl of melted Mars Bars in it. That’s right. It’s made from melted candy bars!
I feel like I should just put the pen down right now and walk away, because that literally says it all. Butter, melted Mars Bars, rice cereal and chocolate. THAT IS ALL.
No doubt about it, this crazy combo makes a finger-lickin’ slice. The base is crunchy and sweet with just the right amount of chocolate on top. It’s at once, chewy and buttery and completely moreish.
It’s the perfect slice for morning tea or the ultimate party food. Cut teeny tiny slices for a bite-sized treat or go mega like me, for a tasty dessert.
HOW TO MAKE MARS BAR SLICE
- To start, you need to melt together butter and Mars Bars. You can do this either on the stove OR in the microwave. I prefer the stove as I can stir it constantly and have a bit more control over the temperature.
- The Mars Bars will never completely melt – they’ll almost get there but they still bit a lumpy and not fully smooth. That’s ok! When they’re basically melted, with just a few lumps here and there, you are good to go.
- Pour chocolate mixture over rice cereal and mix quickly. Make sure you use a FRESH box of Rice Bubbles or Rice Krispies. Even well sealed, an open box is never as good and can result in a stale or soggy slice – no thanks!
- Place in the fridge until set, then add a layer of chocolate. Leave it to set again before cutting into slices. DONE!
WHAT ARE MARS BARS?
- Mars Bars are a chocolate confectionary or candy bar – popular in Australia and the UK. They have a layer of nougat and caramel, all covered in chocolate. They are similar to a Moro chocolate bar or the Milky Bar chocolate bar in America. If you can’t find Mars Bars where you live, you could try another candy bar – but I can’t promise the same results as I have only tested this recipe with Mars Bars.
Easy chocolate Mars Bar Slice made with just 4 ingredients.
- 350 grams (2 and 1/3 cups) Mars Bars, roughly chopped
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) butter
- 140 grams (3 and 1/2 cups) Rice Krispies or Rice Bubble cereal
- 250 grams (1 and 1/3 cup) milk chocolate, roughly broken into pieces
- Line an 8-inch square pan with baking or parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan, add butter and Mars Bars. Place on a medium-low heat and gently stir until mixture is melted and combined. The mixture will look a little lumpy and won’t ever be completely smooth – this is fine.
- Tranfer mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add rice cereal and mix to combine – working quickly.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking pan. Use the back of a spoon to press the mixture into one even layer. Pop in the fridge to set for at least 1 hour.
- To serve, melt milk chocolate in the microwave until melted and smooth. Pour over slice and smooth out into one even layer. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to set. Slice into small squares to serve.
Mars Bars: Mars Bars are a store bought chocolate bar with a layer of nougat and caramel. Much like a Snickers Bar (without the peanuts) or similar to a Milky Way in America. You can try this recipe with different candy bars but I can’t guarantee the results as I have tested it with Mars Bars only.
Rice cereal: Always use a fresh box of Rice Krispies or Rice Bubbles. This will make sure they stay nice and crunchy. If they are not fresh, they will go soggy and taste stale when you add moisture (like chocolate) to them.