Buttery Coconut Jam Slice made from scratch. With a baked shortbread crust, a layer of raspberry jam and a crispy coconut meringue topping. It’s the perfect morning tea treat!
Coconut Jam Slice lovin’ ❤️
Do you know and love Coconut Jam Slice or are you sitting there thinking, what in the world is THAT?! Let me break it down for you. It starts with a buttery shortbread crust, next up is a layer of raspberry jam and finally, a topping of sweet coconut meringue.
Did I make a coconut jam fan out of you yet?!
I’m not quite sure where the Coconut Jam Slice originated from, but here in Australia, it’s a morning tea staple. We love our easy slices that can be whipped up when guests pop over – especially ones that only need a handful of ingredients.
And that’s what this Coconut Jam Slice is ALL about. It’s super simple and easy to make – you don’t even need an electric mixer. And you could have most, or even all, of the ingredients sitting in your pantry right now. #winning
It starts off with a really simple shortbread crust, that when baked, just about melts-in-your-mouth. In fact, it’s the same one I use in my lovely Passionfruit Slice. It also has some desiccated coconut in it too, which adds both flavour and texture.
When you make the shortbread, it will appear crumbly, like wet sand (see pic above). That is totally fine! Just dump it in your baking pan and then use the back of a spoon to smooth it out into one even layer.
Next, we add a lovely layer of raspberry jam. I recommend using the best quality jam you can afford because the flavour really shines through. And finally, it’s time for that signature coconut topping.
Essentially, it’s actually a little bit of coconut meringue. We combine shredded coconut with a little sugar, vanilla and egg. Once baked it goes golden brown but maintains it’s chew. And by baking the slice, the flavour of that roasted coconut, goes beautifully with the jam and buttery shortbread crust.
So simple. So delicious.
HOW TO MAKE PERFECT COCONUT JAM SLICE
- Start by lining an 8-inch square cake tin with baking or parchment paper, making sure two sides overhang. This will make it easier to remove the slice later on. Preheat your oven.
- Begin my making your shortbread crust. Whisk together your sugar, flour and coconut. Then pour over your melted butter and stir to combine. The mixture will resemble wet sand and appear crumbly – this is totally fine. Add it to your prepared tin and then use the back of a dessert spoon to press it down to form one even layer. Bake for around 10 minutes or until it starts to turn golden on the edges.
- Spread a layer of jam over the top of your shortbread – it’s ok to do this while it’s warm. Then make up your coconut topping. Whisk together egg, sugar and vanilla just to combine. Then stir through your shredded coconut.
- Scatter coconut mix all over the top of your jam layer. It’s totally fine if it’s a bit patchy and uneven. This slice is rustic and beautiful! Bake for an additional 10-12 minutes or until it’s golden brown on the top.
- Leave coconut slice to cool completely in tin. If you try to remove it before it’s cooled it will be quite fragile and you run the risk of it breaking. Then gently remove it and cut into squares.
- Coconut Jam Slice is best eaten on the day it’s made but you can store the leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
MORE SLICE RECIPES
An easy Coconut Jam Slice made from scratch.
- 65 grams (1/2 cup) icing or powdered sugar
- 140 grams (1 cup) plain flour
- 70 grams (3/4 cup) desiccated coconut
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
Jam coconut topping
- 135 grams (1/2 cup) good quality raspberry jam
- 1 large egg
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 90 grams (1 and 1/2 cup) shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Grease and line an 8 inch square baking tin with baking or parchment paper, ensuring two sides overhang (this will make it easier to remove the slice later).
- In a large mixing bowl, add sugar, flour and coconut. Whisk to combine. Add melted butter and stir until moist. Mixture should resemble wet sand.
- Place mixture into baking pan and press down to form one even layer. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until the crust is slightly golden on the edges. Remove from oven.
- While the base is still warm, spread over jam to form one even layer. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add egg, sugar and vanilla. Give it a good whisk for 30 seconds or so until combined. Stir through shredded coconut.
- Spread this coconut meringue mixture over the jam. Spread out to form one layer – don’t worry too much if it’s a bit patchy here and there. Place bake in the oven for another 10-14 minutes or until topping turns golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave in pan to cool completely. Cut into small slices and serve fresh.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 190
Keywords: Coconut slice, Jam slice, Coconut jam bars