Amazing Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies made using a chocolate cake mix. These chunky, chocolate fudge cookies are soft and chewy and filled to the brim with chocolate chips.
Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies for the WIN!
If you love thick, pillowy cookies and think chocolate cake is the world’s greatest invention, you’re going to fall head over heels for these gorgeous Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies. Made with a box of cake mix, they’re part cake, part cookie, and 100% delicious.
Soft, fudgy and completely moreish.
Ever since I made my Cake Mix Cookies last year, I’ve been obsessed with them. Do you know what they taste like? Milk Bar’s famous Confetti Cookie. And I love that I can almost get a taste of one of my favourite New York bakeries at home.
And now I know how amazing it is when you add a boxed cake mix into your cookie batter, I can’t stop. So here’s my second cake mix creation. This time in the form of chocolate on chocolate.
These Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies are super thick and soft. The middle is a little fudgy, with plenty of gooey chocolate chips thrown in for good measure. They taste like a really good chocolate cookie but there’s something different about them that you can’t quite put your finger on.
Welcome to the wonderful world of baking with boxed cake mix.
I’d even go as far to say these Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies are part cookie, part cake and even part brownie. Especially when they’re fresh out of the oven. They just about melt-in-your-mouth.
If you have a packet of chocolate cake mix in your cupboard, can I tempt you to make these cookies instead of chocolate cake next time your chocolate craving hits?
TIPS FOR MAKING PERFECT CHOCOLATE CAKE MIX COOKIES
- These cookies are made in very similar way to a regular batch of chocolate cookies.
- We use melted butter in this recipe, so there is no need to soften the butter and you don’t need an electric mixer. This recipe also doesn’t require you to chill the dough.
- I’ve used a mix of brown sugar and caster sugar in this recipe. If you don’t have caster sugar where you live, you can use granulated sugar instead.
- Once you have made the cookie dough, scoop out balls of dough (approximately 1.5 tablespoons each) and roll them using your hands. If the dough is too sticky to use your hands, just use a cookie scoop.
- I tested this recipe using Betty Crocker’s Devil’s Chocolate Cake Mix. Results may vary slightly depending on the brand and type of cake mix you use.
MORE COOKIE RECIPES TO TRY
- Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cake Batter Funfetti Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- Cornflake Marshmallow Cookies
- Nutella Cookies
Easy Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies that taste like part cake, part cookie!
- 115 grams (1/2 cup / 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 140 grams (1 cup) plain flour
- 20 grams (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
- 175 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) Devil’s Chocolate Cake Mix*
- Pinch of salt
- 150 grams (1 cup) milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line two baking trays with baking or parchment paper.
- Place butter in a heatproof bowl and heat in the microwave until JUST melted. You don’t want the butter to be too hot, but just soft enough to stir with a fork until smooth.
- Add sugars, vanilla and egg and stir until smooth. Add flour, cocoa powder, cake mix and salt and stir until soft cookie dough forms. Add chocolate chips and stir.
- Scoop balls of cookie dough (approximately 1.5 tablespoons each) and roll them smooth using your hands. Place on prepared tray, leaving room for the cookies to spread.
- Bake cookies for approximately 11-12 minutes. Cookies may look a little under baked but will firm up as they cool.
*I tested this recipe using Betty Crocker’s Devil’s Chocolate Cake Mix.
Keywords: Cake batter cookies, Cake mix cookies, Chocolate fudge cookies