I love pancakes! And these American-style pancakes are my perfect pancake. They are light and fluffy, while still being thick and hearty and completely moreish. Drenched in maple syrup with a handful of fresh raspberries, they are most definitely my favourite morning treat (with a big bowl of Fruit Loops coming in a close second).
This pancake recipe is super simple with no wild ingredients – you probably have ALL of them on hand right now. Which means you are just moments away from sweet pancake heaven. Just sayin.
Growing up, pancakes were always a treat. But pancakes for us meant shaker pancakes! You know the kind, with the dry mix in the bottle and you just had to add milk or water. And then you just shake your heart out and voila, perfect pancakes. Well that’s what you think as a kid.
Then you grow up and realise what really makes a good pancake is learning to master the ‘flip’. But making the batter from scratch definitely takes it up a notch or two in the taste department.
In our house, my dad liked his pancakes thin. Like really thin. Maybe even verging on the side of a crepe. But not me. Oh no, as a child, I liked my pancakes thick and fat. Like a restaurant would serve them. Little did I know, even back then, I was into American style foods!
Well now I can make my very own stack of fat and fluffy pancakes from scratch, just the way I like them. And there is no better way to eat a pile of American-style pancakes, then with authentic maple syrup. Are you hungry yet?
I’m proud of this recipe because making pancakes has not always been my forte. In fact, my first attempt went horribly wrong and tasted like scrambled eggs. It took a while for me to try again. But don’t worry, those days are well behind me. These pancakes are delicious!
And when they are made fresh and served up to you straight from the griddle – the world becomes a far better place. Excuse me, this bowl of cereal is just not cutting it anymore. Fluffy American Pancakes here we come!
Fluffy American Pancakes
Fluffy American Pancakes that are soft and sweet, while still being thick and hearty, drenched in maple syrup with a handful of fresh raspberries.
- Yield: Makes 6 large pancakes
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 55 grams (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 240 ml (1 cup) milk
- Fresh raspberries and golden syrup, to serve
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar and baking powder. Give it a little whisk. Next, add your butter to a separate mixing bowl and microwave for 20 seconds or so until just melted. Add your vanilla, eggs and milk to your butter mixture and stir to combine. Next pour your wet mixture into your dry mixture and gently fold through. The mixture should be nice and thick.
- Heat a small frying pan on a medium-low heat, add a little butter to the pan and pour over 1/2 cup or so of your pancake batter. Heat for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown and then flip. Heat on the opposite side for about 1 minute or until also golden. Repeat with remaining pancake batter. Serve pancakes immediately with maple syrup and fresh raspberries.