Learn how to make soft and fluffy American Pancakes from scratch. These cake-like pancakes are perfect drizzled with maple syrup and served with fresh berries.
Hands up if you love pancakes?! 💕
Well now you can learn how to make AMAZING American-style pancakes from scratch. They’re light and fluffy, while still being thick and hearty. Drenched in maple syrup and served with a handful of fresh raspberries, they’re most definitely my favourite morning treat.
Super simple pancakes with no wild ingredients – in fact you probably have everything you need on hand to make a batch right now. Just sayin.
The Griddle Cafe in Los Angeles makes the BEST pancakes. They’re thick but fluffy – and about the size of your head. Ever since I tried them, maybe 6 or 7 years ago now, I have wanted to master making perfect pancakes at home.
While I grew up making pancakes from a packet, pancakes from scratch are a world apart. There’s nothing extraordinary about them, but the perfect ratio of ingredients, gives you a chunky pancake that is almost like a piece of cake. I LOVE them.
Growing up in my house, my dad always liked his pancakes thin. Like really thin. Maybe even verging on a crepe. But not me. Oh no, as a child, I liked my pancakes thick and fat. Like a restaurant would serve them. And I have not changed a bit.
And now you can make our very own stack of fat and fluffy pancakes anytime you want. And there is no better way to eat a pile of American-style pancakes, then with authentic maple syrup. Are you hungry yet? Because I am!
I’m super proud of this recipe because making pancakes has not always been my forte. In fact, my first attempts went horribly wrong and tasted like scrambled eggs – ick! It took a while for me to try again. But don’t worry, those days are well behind me. This is my tried and true recipe that I’ve been using for years.
And when they’re made fresh and served up to you straight from the griddle – the world becomes a far better place. Excuse me, but a bowl of cereal is just not cutting it anymore. Fluffy American Pancakes here we come!
Watch how to make it
Fluffy American Pancakes that are soft and sweet, while still being thick and hearty, drenched in maple syrup with a handful of fresh raspberries.
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 55 grams (1/4 cup) butter, plus extra for cooking
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 240 ml (1 cup) full fat or whole milk
- Zest of one lemon, optional
- Fresh raspberries and maple syrup, to serve
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar and baking powder. Give it a little whisk.
- Next, add your butter to a separate mixing bowl and microwave for 20 seconds or so until just melted. Add your vanilla, eggs and milk to your butter mixture and stir to combine. Add fresh lemon zest if using.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and gently fold through. The mixture should be nice and thick.
- Heat a small frying pan on a medium-low heat, add a little butter to the pan and pour over 3 heaped tablespoons or so of pancake batter. Heat for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown and then flip.
- Heat on the opposite side for about 1 minute or until also golden. Remove from heat and set aside. Repeat with remaining pancake batter and butter.
- Serve pancakes immediately with maple syrup and fresh raspberries.
This recipe was first published on Sweetest Menu in March 2016.