Deliciously chewy Coconut Oil Brownies made from scratch. These moist brownies boast a crisp, crinkly top and a fudgy, cakey centre filled with chocolate chips.
I ❤️ brownies!
And I’m here to introduce you to the latest addition to our brownie collection, my deliciously rich Coconut Oil Brownies. They have that all-important crinkly top, chewy edges and a soft cakey centre.
If you love a good brownie that’s quick and easy to throw together, this IS FOR YOU.
I cannot stop making brownies. They’re my absolutely go-to when entertaining because I’m yet to meet someone who doesn’t like a good brownie. You can make them ahead of time and the flavour combos are endless.
While I love a traditional brownie made with butter, I’ve been recently experimenting with different ways to craft the ultimate brownie. I’ve tried olive oil (see here), vegetable oil (see here) and now coconut oil. And you know what? They’re ALL amazing.
These gorgeous Coconut Oil Brownies are dreamy. They have a slightly fudgy yet cakey centre, with chewy corners and a slightly crispy top – JUST like a regular brownie. While I love a super fudgy brownie (like these), there’s something to be said for a slightly cakey brownie.
Because cake + brownie + chocolate = FUN.
There’s no real chocolate in the batter, but cocoa powder and chocolate chips add oodles of chocolate flavour.
The best part about these Coconut Oil Brownies? You don’t need an electric mixer. In fact, this is basically a one bowl, or at the very most, a two bowl recipe.
So if you have a jar of coconut oil in your pantry, try a batch of these gorgeous brownies. Serve them warm with a scoop of ice cream and you’ll be transported to brownie heaven.
TIPS FOR MAKING PERFECT COCONUT OIL BROWNIES
- This recipe starts with melted coconut oil. Even if your coconut is melty straight from the jar, I recommend popping it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to make sure it’s completely melted.
- Next, we add some caster sugar. You can swap caster sugar for granulated sugar, and you can read more about caster sugar here. Then a little vanilla for extra flavour.
- Before you add your eggs, I recommend lightly beating them with a fork to break up the yolks and also get a little bit of air into them. This can help form the signature brownie top – which is actually a very thin layer of meringue.
- Finally, we add plain flour, cocoa powder and chocolate chips. You can use any type of chocolate chip you like, but I think milk chocolate chips go very perfectly.
- These brownies will be ready to take out of the oven, when they no longer wobble in the middle and have a lovely crinkly top. It’s best to remove them earlier than later, otherwise they will turn quite cakey (unless that’s what you are looking for!).
- Once baked, you can store them at room temperature and place them in the fridge if you want them a little more fudgy. If you want to serve them warm, you can heat them in the microwave for 20 seconds or so before serving.
MORE BROWNIE RECIPES TO TRY
- Vegan Brownies
- Chocolate Raspberry Brownies
- Nutella Brownies
- White Chocolate Coconut Brownies
- Gluten Free Brownies
- Cosmic Brownies
Soft and chewy chocolate brownies made with coconut oil.
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) coconut oil, melted*
- 200 grams (1 cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 70 grams (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 40 grams (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line an 8 inch square baking tin with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add coconut oil, sugar and vanilla and mix briefly.
- In a separate bowl, add eggs and whisk with a fork for approximately 30 seconds or until combined.
- Add eggs to sugar mixture, along with cocoa powder, flour and chocolate chips. Gently mix with a spoon or spatula to combine. Pour into prepared tin.
- Bake for approximately 28-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool slightly before removing from pan.
*Make sure your coconut oil is melted. You can just pop it in the microwave for 10 seconds to melt.
If you’re looking for a vegan recipe, try my Vegan Brownies.
- Serving Size: 1 brownie
- Calories: 169
Keywords: Coconut oil brownies, Chocolate brownies