Introducing the perfect no bake Hedgehog Slice. Filled to the brim with crushed cookies, coconut, hazelnuts and chocolate, this mouthwatering slice makes for a seriously sweet treat.
Have you tried Hedgehog Slice before?
If you haven’t, you are in for one sweet treat. And if you have, well then you KNOW what all the fuss is about. This no bake slice is buttery, sweet and filled with chocolate.
Plus my recipe has a little twist that will leave you wanting more 💕
And now, there’s another slice to add to our collection. And this one couldn’t be easier – to make or eat (trust me). It’s a simple mix and stir recipe, but there are so many good things involved.
The more traditional Hedgehog Slices I’ve had in the past, usually have walnuts in them. While I do love walnuts, I love hazelnuts and chocolate even more. So I’ve switched up the ingredients to include chopped hazelnuts.
And since we’re talking chocolate and hazelnuts, it also made sense to take this slice to the next level, by adding a spoonful of Nutella.
Because, well, you know how I am around Nutella #cantstopwontstop
So all you have to do to make this gorgeous slice is combine crushed cookies, coconut, cocoa and hazelnuts, and mix them with sweetened condensed milk, chocolate and a little butter.
Once that’s set, it’s time for the top layer. Delicious dark chocolate and gooey Nutella – what a way to finish huh? Two layers of chunky chocolate goodness.
This Hedgehog Slice is perfect for parties, morning or afternoon tea or any celebrations. You can cut the slice into small pieces and feed a hungry crowd. Or go big if you’re feeling brave.
With just a handful of pantry ingredients, it’s the kind of slice recipe you can have up your sleeve for almost any occasion. And no one has to know just how easy it is to make!
How to cut Hedgehog Slice
If you’re anything like ME, you would have had your fair share of cracked slices over the years. Cutting into slices that are topped with chocolate can be tricky. Here are my best tips for cutting Hedgehog Slice –
- The most common reason for chocolate cracking on top of slices is because it’s too cold.
- The slice needs to set in the fridge. However, once you add the chocolate, you can leave the slice at room temperature temporarily – just for the chocolate to set. This will make it easy to cut without the chocolate cracking. Alternatively, put the slice in the fridge, but let it come to room temperature before cutting.
- Use a serrated knife to carefully cut the Hedgehog Slice
How long does Hedgehog Slice last?
This slice lasts up to 5 days. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
No bake Hedgehog Slice topped with Nutella chocolate.
- 250 grams (2 and 1/2 cups) graham crackers or Digestive biscuits*, broken into pieces
- 30 grams (1/2 cup) shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 40 grams (1/2 cup) skinless hazelnuts, finely chopped
- 200 grams (1 and 1/3 cups) dark chocolate
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) butter
- 240 ml (1 cup) sweetened condensed milk
- 200 grams (1 and 1/3 cups) dark or milk chocolate
- 1 tablespoon Nutella
- Grease and line an 8-inch square pan with baking or parchment, ensuring two sides overhang.
- Add cookies to a food processor and whiz until finely crushed. In a large mixing bowl, stir together crushed cookies, coconut, cocoa powder and hazelnuts.
- Add dark chocolate, butter and condensed milk into a mixing bowl. Heat in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until smooth and creamy.
- Pour mixture over dry ingredients and mix quickly. When everything is coated with chocolate, pour into prepared tin and spread out into one layer. Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or until firm.
- For the topping, add chocolate to a small bowl and melt in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until smooth. Stir through Nutella. Pour chocolate over slice and leave to set. Cut into small slices and serve.
*Cookies: Any plain, sweet, store bought cookies will work. For example: Digestive biscuits, Graham crackers, Arnotts Granita.