Enjoy a slice of homemade Blueberry Bread, perfect for breakfast or morning tea. This moist olive oil cake is packed with fresh blueberries, lemon zest and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Blueberries never looked so good 💜
This lovely Blueberry Bread was a labor of love, but I’m so thrilled with the way it turned out. A moist olive oil loaf studded with fresh blueberries and flavoured with fresh lemons.
It’s the perfect tea-time treat.
If you follow me on Instagram, you’ll know that it took quite a few turns to get this Blueberry Bread just right – and a big part of that was because my blueberries keeping sinking!
Have you ever had that problem before?
I reached out to you on Instagram Stories to find out your tricks for preventing this, and after a few more tests, I finally found something that worked for me. See all those glorious blueberries suspended on top? Boom!
So most people suggested rolling the blueberries in flour before adding to the batter. I tried this and it worked a little – but it wasn’t good enough. The blueberries were still sitting in the bottom half of the loaf.
So how did we make it from a blueberry bottomed loaf to this? 👇🏻
Well I did coat the blueberries, I used cornflour, but flour is fine too. But I only added them to half the batter. So the batter without blueberries goes into the tin first, followed by the batter with the blueberries. Then I added a few blueberries on top before baking.
The result was pure blueberry perfection. You’ve got a sweet, soft but dense olive oil loaf filled to the brim with fresh blueberries, while fresh lemon juice and zest add a pop of flavour.
It’s sweet, without being too sweet, so would even make a lovely treat for a late breakfast or brunch. My favourite way to eat it is slightly warm (just zap a slice in the microwave for 10 seconds) and smothered in softened butter.
How to make Blueberry Bread
- This loaf is best made with a bowl and a whisk or spatula, so put away the electric mixer. If you use an electric mixer, you’ll run the risk of over beating which will result in a dry, tough cake.
- Try not to over bake this cake. Every oven is different, so start checking the loaf from about 45 minutes onwards. Insert a butter knife or skewer into the centre of the cake, if it comes out clean, you know the cake is ready.
How to stop blueberries from sinking in cake
- To ensure the blueberries don’t sink, coat them in corn flour or corn starch. Only add blueberries to half the batter as instructed in the recipe below – and reserve a few extra to place on top.
An irresistible Blueberry Bread made with olive oil, lemon and fresh blueberries.
- 155 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or cornflour*
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) olive oil
- 200 grams (1 cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Zest of one lemon
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) greek yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 180 C (360 F). Grease and line a 9 x 5 inch rectangular loaf pan with baking or parchment paper.
- Add 1 cup blueberries (set aside remaining 1/4 cup of blueberries) and cornflour to a small bowl and mix until blueberries are coated. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add olive oil, sugar, vanilla, eggs, lemon juice and zest. Whisk briefly to combine.
- Add flour, baking powder and yogurt. Gently mix with a wooden spoon until combined – but be careful not to over mix.
- Add roughly 1/2 of your batter to prepared tin. Then add the coated blueberries to the remaining batter and gently mix through, before adding mixture to prepared tin. Press extra blueberries on top.
- Bake loaf for approximately 45-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. If you find the top of your loaf is browning too much, simply add a piece of alfoil over the top towards the end of cooking.
*If you don’t have cornstarch or cornflour, use 1 tablespoon of plain flour.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 371
Keywords: Blueberry Lemon Bread, Blueberry Cake, Olive Oil Cake