This moist Hummingbird Cake will wow your family and friends! Made with bananas, pineapple and pecans, and topped with tangy cream cheese frosting, it’s an American classic.
Hello hummingbird! ❤️
Have you ever had Hummingbird Cake before? It’s Ah-mazing.
A soft and moist banana cake loaded with pecans AND pineapple (I know right?) and topped with face-plant-worthy cream cheese frosting.
If you love banana cake, you will be ALL OVER this classic American cake. If not for the moist and flavourful cake, than for the rich cream cheese frosting. I could face plant into the bowl of frosting ALONE.
But once you put it all together? Heaven I tell you. I went one step further and made homemade pecan cookie crumbs to scatter on top. Because #yolo right?
I’ve mentioned to you before that I love one-layer cakes. I know layer cakes are all the rage right now but I feel like one layer cakes are often overlooked.
But to me, they’re baking old-school style and I love them.
So what can you expect with this gorgeous Hummingbird Cake? Well for one, a very moist cake, thanks to the banana. pineapple and oil. And there’s a surprising depth of flavour with a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg.
There’s a little crunch from the pecans INSDE the cake and then there’s that thick and luscious layer of cream cheese frosting. I mean really.
Butter, cream cheese, vanilla and sugar combine to make the most amazing frosting that pairs perfectly with the exotic flavours of the Hummingbird Cake.
The final touch for my Hummingbird Cake is a sprinkling of pecan cookie crumbs. They only take 10 minutes to make and honestly, they take this cake from good to great. They add a delicious crunch and so much nutty flavour.
They’re like crunchy shortbread pecan cookies. And I mean cake + frosting + cookies = heaven right? I can’t wait for you to try this one. Make sure you show me your photos on Instagram #sweetestmenu
A beautiful moist Hummingbird Cake with cream cheese frosting and crunchy pecan cookie crumbs.
- 245 grams (1 and 3/4 cups) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 45 grams (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 105 grams (1 cup) pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 cup mashed banana (approximately 2–3 overripe bananas)
- 275 grams (1 cup) tinned crushed pineapple in juice
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pecan cookie crumbs
- 105 grams (1 cup) pecans, finely chopped
- 70 grams (1/2 cup) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornflour or cornstarch
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted
Cream cheese frosting
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) butter, softened
- 250 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) full fat cream cheese, softened, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 435 grams (3 and 1/2 cups) icing sugar or powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Grease and line an 8-inch round cake pan with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, place flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, caster sugar and brown sugar. Add pecans. Stir briefly to combine.
- Mash bananas well with a fork and measure out 1 cup. Make a well in the centre of dry ingredients, add crushed pineapple and mashed banana. Add oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Use a spatula to gently fold ingredients together until wet and combined. Pour into prepared cake tin and bake for approximately 55-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Transfer cake to a cooling rack and leave to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the pecan cookie crumbs, add pecans, flour, sugar and cornflour to a medium mixing bowl. Pour over melted butter and stir until crumbs resemble wet sand.
- Line a baking tray with baking or parchment paper. Add cookie crumbs and spread into one even layer. Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes or until just golden. Leave to cool completely.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, add butter and cream cheese to a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla. Add sugar, 1 cup at a time, and continue to beat until smooth.
- Add frosting to cake and use a small spatula to spread to the edges. Sprinkle over pecan cookie crumbs. Cut into slices and serve.