Hey all! Welcome to Monday! I’m back home after a few glorious days at the beach and I already miss the sun, the surf and the sand. That aside, I’m pretty pumped to be back in my own kitchen. And I’ve mastered the perfect Chocolate Chip Muffin that will make you look forward all day to your packed lunch.
Not only are they soft and fluffy but they are full of big chunks of chocolate and they have that ALL important crunchy high top. Say goodbye to flat homemade muffins, these bakery-style muffins are the perfect treat!
I know Americans love to have muffins for breakfast (hello cake for breakfast) but I’m more of a cereal girl myself. But I will gladly wrap one of these up and take them to work with me for morning or afternoon tea. Muffins to me are a real treat. And its all about that high top. Golden and crunchy – its what my muffin dreams are made of.
I also love to overload my muffins with chunks of chocolate rather than chocolate chips for a little extra gooey mess. To ensure your muffins are light and fluffy, remember to try not to overmix the batter.
This recipe will make 14 muffins. I love to make a big batch and then wrap them up in my freezer for an on-the-go snack. They freeze really well and 20 or 30 seconds in the microwave will make all those chocolate pieces melt all over again. Ooh and if you want to satisfy ALL your chocolate cravings, you could also try my Double Chocolate Muffins.
Can you believe its officially February already? I feel like it was just Christmas and now January has already flown by. Have a great week friends!
Bakery-style Chocolate Chip Muffins that are soft and fluffy, full of big chunks of chocolate and they have that ALL important crunchy high top.
- 350 grams (2 and 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 115 grams (1/2 cup / 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 240 ml (1 cup) buttermilk
- 150 grams (1 cup) milk or dark chocolate pieces, plus a few extra for decorating
- Preheat your oven to 200 C (400 F). Grease your 12-hole muffin pan well with butter. In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add your sugars and mix together with a wooden spoon. In the microwave, heat the butter in a large heatproof bowl until just melted, stirring in between 10 second bursts. Remove the butter and set aside to cool slightly. Meanwhile turn the kettle on and pour out 1/4 cup of boiling water and set aside.
- Next, add your vanilla, eggs and buttermilk to your cooled butter and whisk gently until combined. Make a well in the middle of your dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients and begin to fold. Very gently start to fold the mixture using a spatula or wooden spoon and then pour in the hot water. Fold until the mixture is just combined – be careful not to over mix. Throw in the chocolate pieces.
- Spoon out the mixture into your prepared tin. Pop a few extra chocolate pieces on top for show. Bake for 5 minutes before turning down the heat 180 C (360 F) and baking for a further 10-15 minutes (this will depend on your oven) or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. The initial high heat of the oven will help the muffins to rise quickly, creating those lovely domed tops. Leave muffins to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 282
Keywords: Chocolate, Choc chip, Muffins