Easy Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies that rival any regular cookie recipe! These crispy cookies are loaded with chocolate chips and have a deliciously soft centre – everyone will love them.
Are you ready for this?! 🙌🏻
You’re looking at golden Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies that taste JUST like the real thing. A little crispy, a little crunchy and loaded with gooey chocolate chips.
If you’ve been looking for the perfect gluten free cookie, I’ve got you covered.
One of my readers who made my Gluten Free Chocolate Brownies recently asked if I had a gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipe – and I didn’t. Until now.
I went to work behind-the-scenes to create the perfect gf cookie that would rival any regular chocolate chip cookie. And I’ll admit, it was quite the challenge.
If you’ve known me for a while, you’ll know that I adore chocolate chip cookies. So I wanted to make sure this gluten free cookie was halfway decent amiright?!
So I went back to my favourite Classic Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. It’s made with melted butter so it needs time to chill but it produces a very soft and chewy cookie. However, I knew that gluten free flour does not hold moisture as well as regular flour, so using melted butter would result in a cookie that was too wet.
I moved onto my Funfetti Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe which is made using the creaming method with softened butter and sugar. This was the perfect place to start my recipe testing.
However, when I used this recipe as a starting point and simply subbed in gluten free flour, the results were disappointing. The cookies were too thin, too crispy and lacked flavour. So I gradually made a few tweaks until I had the perfect Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie.
The perfect gluten free chocolate chip cookie
- This recipe uses COLD butter. Most cookie recipes start with either melted butter or softened butter, but after a few rounds of testing, I found that gluten free flour causes considerable cookie spreading. Starting with cold butter helps this issue.
- I use brown sugar for this recipe because gluten free flour doesn’t have the same flavour or texture as regular flour. The brown sugar gives the cookies more flavour and doesn’t add too much ‘crispy-ness’ like regular white sugar can.
- I add an extra teaspoon of vanilla extract – again for flavour.
- Because gluten free plain flour is made mostly from rice flour, it can give the cookies a crumbly and almost gritty texture. To combat this, I add an extra egg yolk for softness and moisture.
- I use a mix of plain flour and cornflour. This helps to keep the cookies soft and moist and gives them a little more ‘bulk.’
Tips for making gluten free chocolate chip cookies
- This recipe starts with creaming the cold butter and brown sugar until it’s pale and creamy. Next, add the vanilla extract.
- Then comes the egg and egg yolk. Beat together until combined, before adding flour, cornflour and baking soda. And finally, the chocolate chips.
- The most important part is chilling the dough for at least 1 hour. To ensure the cookies don’t spread too much in the oven, you must chill the dough.
- Scoop 1.5 tablespoons of the cookie dough and place on a baking tray lined with baking or parchment paper. Bake cookies for approximately 10 minutes.
- The cookies make look a little under baked but they will firm up as they cool. Gluten free cookies can be a little overly crispy or crunchy so it’s best to under bake rather than over bake – in my opinion.
Why you will love these cookies
- Too many gluten free recipes use all kinds of weird and expensive ingredients. These cookies are made using only regular baking ingredients – most of which you probably already have on hand.
- They’re pretty quick and easy to make.
- Honestly, while the texture is a little different and they are a little crispier than a regular chocolate chip cookie, you *almost* can’t taste the difference – seriously.
- They will satisfy ALL your chocolate chip cookie cravings.
Gluten free chocolate chip cookies made from scratch.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, cold
- 135 grams (3/4 cup) brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 245 grams (1 and 3/4 cup) gluten free plain flour*
- 35 grams (1/4 cup) cornflour or corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 150 grams (1 cup) gluten free milk chocolate chips, plus extra to decorate
- n a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar using an electric beater for 1-2 minutes or until pale and creamy.
- Add vanilla, egg and egg yolk and beat until combined. Sift in flour, cornflour and baking soda and mix to combine. Add chocolate chips.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill the cookie dough for AT LEAST one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (360 F). Line two baking trays with baking or parchment paper.
- Use a cookie scoop to roll balls of dough (approximately 1.5 tablespoons each) in your hands and place them onto your prepared trays, leaving room for the cookies to spread out.
- Bake for approximately 10-11 minutes or until golden brown on the edges. Press a few extra chocolate chips on top. Carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
*I tested this recipe using White Wings Gluten Free Plain Flour which is made from rice flour. Results may vary when using different brands and types of gluten free flours.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 235
Keywords: Gluten free cookies, gluten free choc chip cookies