These Nutella Stuffed Caramelitas are what dreams are made of! Buttery oat cookie dough with a ribbon of homemade caramel and Nutella running right through the middle.
When caramel, chocolate, cookie AND Nutella combine, what do you get? Nutella Stuffed Caramelitas! 👊🏻
Typically, a caramelita is a homemade oat cookie bar with a ribbon of salted caramel and chocolate chips, running right through the middle. Heaven right? But when you also add spoonfuls of Nutella to the mix, well then it’s downright delicious.
These Nutella Stuffed Caramelita Bars are what dreams are made of. Delightfully chewy brown sugar oat cookies made extra special with a touch of homemade salted caramel sauce and a generous slathering of Nutella. They’re chewy, buttery and completely irresistible.
Here in Australia, we love our oaty Anzac biscuits. Traditionally they’re a rolled oat cookie, often sweetened with golden syrup. These Caramelita Bars have a similar cookie base but with all the added fix-in’s. You could use store-bought caramel sauce to save time, but I do think homemade caramel sauce takes them to the next level.
If you prefer to go without Nutella (who are you people? Kidding! 😉), you can scatter over a cup of chocolate chips instead. Either way, there is just SO much to love about this recipe. I can guarantee all you Anzac biscuit or oatmeal cookie fans out there will be begging for seconds. I know I was!
With so much saucy goodness hiding in the middle of these bars, it’s important to let them set once they are removed from the oven. You want to let them cool completely or even pop them in the fridge for a few hours before removing them from your baking dish and cutting them into squares.
Even with their gooey middle, they will magically firm up over time. For a little extra sweetness, drizzle over more caramel on top. Perfection!
An oat cookie bar with ribbons of salted caramel and a thick layer of Nutella running right through the middle.
- 125 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) rolled oats
- 190 grams (1 cup) brown sugar
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cup) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 230 grams (1 cup / 2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 150 grams (1/2 cup) Nutella
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) chocolate chips
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) salted caramel sauce, homemade or store bought
- Prepare an 8 inch square baking tin by greasing with butter and lining with baking or parchment paper. Preheat your oven to 180 C (360F). Then, in a large mixing bowl, place the rolled oats, sugar, flour and baking soda. Stir gently to mix. Melt your butter in the microwave until just melted and then pour over your oat mixture. Stir until all the ingredients are nice and moist and a soft dough forms. Then press half of the dough into your prepared tin into an even layer. Pop into the oven for 14-15 minutes or until nice and golden on top. Leave to cool slightly for 5 minutes.
- Add Nutella to the browned oat layer. Smear slightly to cover most of the base. Scatter over chocolate chips. Then pour over caramel on top. Gently tap the tin so the caramel completely covers the top. Grab the rest of your oat dough and place dollops all over the top. Most of the top should be covered but its ok to have some of the caramel poking through here and there. Bake for another 15 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Leave it in the tin to cool completely before popping into the fridge to set completely for at least 4-6 hours or even better, overnight
- Run a small butter knife around the edges and lift out of the tin. Cut into small squares using a sharp knife. Serve.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 438
Keywords: Nutella, Chocolate, Caramel, Rolled Oats, Cookies, Bars, Dessert