Hello friends! I have a treat for you today! I know I say that every week but this time there is N-u-t-e-l-l-a. That right there, is a Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar in all its glory. Yup, soft baked cookie dough studded with chunks of milk chocolate and a thick layer of Nutella running right through the middle.
These cookie bars are chocolatey, gooey and just plain finger-lickin good. Especially with a cold glass of milk. If you love chocolate chip cookies and can eat spoonfuls of Nutella at a time, then this one is definitely for you.
We loooove our cookies around here. While there will always be room for cake, cookies have a special place in my heart. I’ll take them in any shape or form – cookies bars, cookie cakes, cookie cups, just plain old cookies. I particularly love soft baked ones with melty pieces of chocolate, so this recipe just ticks all the boxes for me.
The cookie is slightly undercooked, with a tender golden crust and a soft middle, laced with chocolate. I used milk chocolate chunks for a little extra omph but you can use chocolate chips if you prefer. The ribbon of Nutella just puts these bars over the top, making them completely irresistible. Which is why there are none left, only 24 hours after their creation.
Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars with chunks of milk chocolate and a thick layer of Nutella running right through the middle.
- Yield: Makes one 8 inch square pan
- 115 grams (1/2 cup / 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 135 grams (3/4 cup) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 170 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 100 grams (2/3 cup) milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- Prepare an 8 inch square baking tin by greasing with butter and lining with baking or parchment paper, ensuring two sides overhang. Preheat the oven to 180 (360 F). In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar for 3-4 minutes with an electric beater or until pale and creamy. Add the vanilla and the egg and beat again until combined. Sift in the flour, baking soda and cornflour and gently fold with a wooden spoon or spatula. Add in your chunks of chocolate or chocolate chips and gently stir until a soft dough forms.
- The next part is a little bit of a labour of love – but it’ll be worth it. Divide the dough into two and press half of the cookie dough into the bottom of your pan. You will need to spread it out with your hands so there are no gaps – go right into the corners. Once this is done, add the Nutella and spread almost to the edges, leaving a little space on every side. Then grab the other half of your cookie dough and break it up into pieces and pop on top of the Nutella. You will then need to spread it out so the Nutella is fully covered. I used the back of dessert spoon. It may go a little swirly but this is fine.
- Pop into the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown on top. Leave to cool for 15 minutes or until you can safely remove it from the tin and pop it onto a cooling rack to cool completely. Cut the slab into squares and enjoy with a cold glass of milk. It’s nice to enjoy a little piece when it’s still a little warm and the Nutella is extra melty.