Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars with a ribbon of Nutella running right through the middle. These buttery cookie bars are sure to become a family favourite.
Do I have a treat for you. I know I say that every week but this time there is N-u-t-e-l-l-a. That right there, is a Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar in all its glory.
Soft baked cookie dough studded with chocolate chips and boasting a thick layer of Nutella running right through the middle.
I know you love all the Nutella stuffed things – after all my Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Cookies have been a favourite around here for years.
And these cookie bars are just plain finger-lickin good. If you love chocolate chip cookies and can eat spoonfuls of Nutella at a time (let’s be friends), then this 👆🏻 is definitely for you.
These Nutella Stuffed Cookie Bars boast a tender, golden crumb with a soft middle, laced with chocolate. The ribbon of Nutella just puts these bars completely over-the-top.
If you love soft baked cookies with plenty of chocolate, you’ll love these Nutella Cookie Bars. And did I mention that they are quick and easy to make? With no need to chill the dough, you could have them ready to eat in under an hour.
How to make Nutella Stuffed Cookie Bars
- This recipe is quick and easy – with no need to chill the cookie dough.
- Start with room temperature butter. Your butter should be nice and soft – but not melty by any means.
- Use an electric mixer to combine the butter, sugar and vanilla. It should go nice and creamy.
- Next add the egg. Finally, add the plain flour, baking soda and a pinch of salt. Mix briefly until a soft cookie dough forms. The final touch is a handful of chocolate chips.
- To assemble, divide the dough roughly into two and press half of it into an 8-inch square baking pan. Press down using your fingers into one even layer.
- Add spoonfuls of Nutella on top and spread out into one even layer using a palette knife or the back of a spoon.
- Finally, add extra cookie dough on top. I find the easiest way to do this is by breaking up the cookie dough using your hands, flattening it and then placing it on top of the Nutella layer (see photo 3 above).
- Use your fingers to join the top layer of cookie dough together so there’s only a minimal amount of Nutella poking through.
- Bake cookie bars for around 25 minutes or until golden on top. Leave to cool completely before cutting into small squares to serve.
Chocolate chip cookie bars with a layer of Nutella running right through the middle.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 135 grams (3/4 cup) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 115 grams (3/4 cup) chocolate chips
- 100 grams (1/3 cup) Nutella
- Grease and line an 8-inch square baking tin with baking or parchment paper, ensuring two sides overhang. Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter, sugar and vanilla using an electric mixer on medium speed until soft and creamy. Add egg and mix briefly to combine.
- Sift in flour, baking soda and salt and mix until a soft cookie dough forms. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Divide the dough into two and press half of the cookie dough into the bottom of your pan to form one even layer. Add the Nutella and spread into one even layer.
- Then grab the other half of your cookie dough and break it up into pieces and pop on top of the Nutella. Use your fingers to join the cookie dough together so the Nutella is fully covered (see photo below).
- Pop into the oven for approximately 24-26 minutes or until golden brown on top. Leave to cool completely in the baking tin. Cut into slices and serve.
This recipe was first published on Sweetest Menu in November 2017.