Prep: 400 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 7 hours 10 minutes
An oat cookie bar with ribbons of salted caramel and a thick layer of Nutella running right through the middle.
- 125 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) rolled oats
- 190 grams (1 cup) brown sugar
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cup) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 230 grams (1 cup / 2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 150 grams (1/2 cup) Nutella
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) chocolate chips
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) salted caramel sauce, homemade or store bought
- Prepare an 8-inch square baking tin by greasing with butter and lining with baking or parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced.
- In a large mixing bowl, place the rolled oats, sugar, flour and baking soda. Stir gently to mix. Melt your butter in the microwave until just melted, stir in the vanilla, and then pour over your oat mixture. Stir until all the ingredients are nice and moist and a soft dough forms.
- Press half of the dough into your prepared tin into an even layer. Pop into the oven for 14-15 minutes or until nice and golden on top. Leave to cool slightly for 5 minutes.
- Add Nutella to the browned oat layer. Smear slightly to cover most of the base. Scatter over chocolate chips. Then pour over caramel on top. Gently tap the tin so the caramel completely covers the top. Grab the rest of your oat dough and place dollops all over the top. Most of the top should be covered but it’s ok to have some of the caramel poking through here and there.
- Bake for another 15 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Leave it in the tin to cool completely before popping into the fridge to set completely for at least 4-6 hours or even better, overnight
- Run a small butter knife around the edges and lift out of the tin. Cut into small squares using a sharp knife. Serve.
Serving Size: 1 bar Calories: 438
Category: DessertCuisine: American