I ate way WAY too much of this. If you can devour a jar of Nutella with only a spoon (please tell me I’m not the only one) then you will LOVE this Nutella Rocky Road Bark. A chocolate treat loaded with roasted nuts and mini marshmallows but what makes it extra special, is the not-so-secret ingredient, Nutella.
A beautifully rich mix of dark chocolate and Nutella makes it super creamy with just a hint of hazelnuts. You only need four ingredients to make this super addictive Nutella Rocky Road Bark. It’s the ultimate treat for Nutella lovers like me!
Are you a rocky road fan? Did you know there are different variations in different countries? Apparently traditional rocky road in America is loaded with marshmallows and usually almonds or walnuts.
Meanwhile here in Australia, we always use peanuts and our rocky road often has a few extra ingredients such as coconut, cherries or even pieces of turkish delight. For this recipe, I sort of combined the two and just used a whole nut combo, peanuts, almonds and walnuts. So I guess it’s kind of an American/Aussie version.
I love my no churn American Rocky Road Ice Cream recipe but this Nutella Bark may now be my new favourite rocky road treat. I just love how the Nutella melts beautifully into the dark chocolate, adding a gorgeous depth of flavour and even more nuttiness.
You can easily adapt this recipe as you please, depending on your favourite roasted nut or do a mix like I did. The benefit of making bark compared to the normal rocky road slab means you don’t need quite as much chocolate to make a batch and there is a better filling to chocolate ratio.
Nutella Rocky Road Bark
Nutella Rocky Road Bark made with just 4 ingredients!
- 300 grams (2 cups) good quality dark chocolate pieces
- 300 grams (1 cup) Nutella, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 cup mini marshmallows, plus extra for decorating
- 125 grams (1 cup) mixed roasted nuts, plus extra for decorating
- Prepare a baking tray by lining with baking or parchment paper. Chop your nuts roughly. Add the chocolate pieces to a heat proof bowl. Put a medium saucepan on a medium-low heat with about 5cm or 2 inches of water in the bottom. Pop the bowl with the chocolate on top, ensuring the bottom of the bowl will not touch the water below. Let the steam slowly melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally. Once the chocolate is almost melted, its ok if there are still a few lumps there, add the Nutella. Then gently stir until all is combined and smooth.
- Remove from the heat and very gently stir through your marshmallows and roasted nuts. The pour the mixture out onto your prepared baking tray. Smooth it out using a spatula until it forms one lumpy layer. Pop into the fridge to set for at least 1-2 hours or until firm. Then break the bark up into mismatched pieces, using a knife. Store in the refrigerated until ready to eat or serve.
I used a mixture of peanuts, walnuts and almonds. You can use whichever roasted nuts you prefer. You could also use salted nuts if you like sweet and salty flavour.