It feels like everyone is posting snow covered vistas on Instagram, thanks to storm jonas, but I’m packing my bags to go spend a few days at the beach! But before I chase some sunshine, I had to share my two layer Yellow Cake with fudgy Nutella frosting with you.
Yellow cake is the best, am I right? So fluffy and buttery – the essence of a good cake. It is also the perfect base to then go wild with a decadent frosting. Like this one, a thick chocolate frosting that is packed with Nutella!
What I love most about this cake is it only uses basic baking ingredients. Which means it’s a great one to throw together at the last minute. The crumb is light but buttery with a lovely vanilla flavour that shines through. But the sweet tooth in me loves the Nutella frosting.
You could also use chocolate buttercream but if you are a Nutella lover like me, I think you will love this frosting. It is so thick that my favourite way to coat the cake is by slapping it on by the spoonful in messy chocolate swirls – perfection!
Yellow Cake with Nutella Frosting
The perfect party cake with two layers soft vanilla cake covered in a thick and fudgy Nutella chocolate frosting,
- Yield: Makes one 2 layer 7-inch cake
- 250 grams (1 cup plus 1 tablespoon) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 200 grams (1 cup) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 315 grams (2 and 1/4 cup) plain flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) milk
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 250 grams (2 cups) icing and powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 300 grams (1 cup) Nutella
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Grease and line two 7 inch round baking tins. Preheat the oven to 160 C (320 F). In a large mixing bowl, add the butter, sugar and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Add in the eggs, one at a time, and beat after each addition. Sift in the flour, baking powder and gently fold. Add the milk and stir gently until smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two cake tins and bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes or until golden on top. Carefully remove the cakes from the cake tins and set on a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, beat the butter with an electric mixer until creamy. Add the icing sugar, one cup at a time, and beat with the electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Add the vanilla and beat again. Then add the Nutella and mix through, adding the milk as needed. The frosting should be fairly thick and easy to apply. Frost the top of the first layer, add the second cake layer on top and frosting the entire cake.