A stunning Yellow Cake that’s perfect for your next party or celebration. Two layers of soft, fluffy vanilla cake, covered in homemade Nutella buttercream and coloured sprinkles!
It’s cake time! 🍰
Are you ready to make a delicious two layer yellow cake completely from scratch? One that’s super soft and fluffy and covered in Nutella buttercream and sprinkles?
This gorgeous cake is perfect for your next party 🎉
Ever since I made my Funfetti Vanilla Layer Cake, I’ve been obsessed with making vanilla cake from scratch. There’s just something about that buttery texture and soft vanilla flavour that makes me weak at the knees.
If you’ve only ever made a boxed vanilla cake, why try making one from scratch? Trust me on this – you’ll never go back.
The soft texture and rich flavour just doesn’t compare.
When I think classic yellow cake, I think chocolate frosting.
But why have chocolate frosting, when you can have NUTELLA frosting?! That’s right, this cake is covered in a creamy buttercream boasting a whole CUP of Nutella.
We love our Nutella desserts around here, and this cake is no exception.
Even though I love love love Chocolate Cake, there is something special about vanilla cake. Every baker needs a classic yellow cake recipe up their sleeve, and this is mine.
It’s a very simple cake recipe, using all the classic ingredients – butter, sugar, vanilla, eggs and flour. My secret? A touch of greek yogurt that guarantees a soft, melt-in-you-mouth texture.
Tips for making perfect yellow cake
- Grease your cake pans with butter and line with baking paper to ensure they don’t stick.
- Make sure all the ingredients that are required to be at room temperature are actually at room temperature.
- Carefully measure out all your ingredients. I recommend weighing out your ingredients in grams, using a kitchen scale. A vanilla cake has to be perfectly balanced and adding too much or too little flour or butter can alter the taste and texture.
- Try not too over bake your cakes, cook until golden on top and skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool for a few minutes in the pan before removing and leaving on a wire cake rack to cool completely. If you leave the cakes in the hot pans to cool, they may keep cooking and create a crust.
- When it’s time to frost your cake, make sure your cakes are completely cooled. If they are even slightly warm, the frosting will melt and ooze out of the cake.
The perfect party cake with two layers soft vanilla cake covered in a thick and fudgy Nutella chocolate frosting,
- 230 grams (1 cup or 2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 250 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 315 grams (2 and 1/4 cup) plain flour
- 2 and 1/2 (level) teaspoons baking powder
- 240 ml (1 cup) milk
- 2 tablespoons full fat Greek yoghurt or sour cream
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 315 grams (2 and 1/2 cups) icing or powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 300 grams (1 cup) Nutella
- 2–3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
- Grease and line two 8 inch round baking tins. Preheat the oven to 160 C (320 F).
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter, sugar and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat after each addition.
- Sift flour and baking powder. Add milk and beat on a low speed until combined. Add Greek yoghurt and mix through.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two cake tins and bake in the oven for approximately 25-30 minutes or until golden on top. Carefully remove the cakes from the pans and set on a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, place butter in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until pale and creamy. Add half the sugar and one tablespoon of milk and beat until combined. Add the remaining sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add Nutella and another tablespoon of milk. Beat until smooth and creamy. If frosting is too thick, add an extra tablespoon of milk.
- Generously frost the top of one cake layer. Add other cake layer on top. Frost top and sides of cake using a spatula. Add sprinkles.
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 608
Keywords: Cake, Nutella, Yellow cake, Frosting, Chocolate