This week was ALL about the chocolate chip cookie. The idea for one giant cookie sprung to mind after seeing a few huge cookies on Instagram and I thought it would be easy enough to replicate. I have never eaten so much cookie in ALL MY LIFE. Eight cookies later, I have the perfect recipe for one giant, golden, chewy M&M Chocolate Chip Cookie.
The best part? You don’t even need a mixer. Just a bowl, a spoon and whole lot of appetite. Give yourself 20 minutes and you could be sitting down with a glass of milk and a cookie the size of your face (I’m not even joking).
Honestly, I thought this recipe would be really easy to create. I took my trusty Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe and first tried to halve it. I ended up with one HUGE cookie. Like really REALLY huge. So then I tried to cut the recipe down further but added to much flour and ended up with the thickest cookie you’ve ever seen.
Third attempt was again too thick. Fourth attempt was looking good – better shape, better colour. I got my hopes up! My husband and I dug in and.. spat it back out. It was entirely savoury. Oops! Fifth time, more sugar and voila – a big beautiful cookie. So we made it again and again and again!
This recipe is perfect for satisfying your cookie cravings. To be honest though, I would not call it a single serving cookie. It is seriously huge! It can easily be shared at least by two people or cut into quarters. What you will get is a seriously crispy cookie, with golden crunchy edges and a soft and gooey centre.
I’ve made this cookie multiple times since then and it works every time. You can also adapt it if you would like to add different candies or mix-ins. I used M&M’s and chocolate chips because I love them! Also say hello to my very first Sweetest Menu video! Excuse me while I hide in a corner #shy.
One Giant M&M Chocolate Chip Cookie filled with chocolate chips and M&M candy.
- 30 grams (2 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 45 grams (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 15 grams (1 tablespoon) caster or granulated sugar
- 1/2 large egg, beaten*
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 70 grams (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 45 grams (1/4 cup) a mixture of chocolate chips and M&M’s, plus a few extra for decorating
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line a cookie sheet with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl add your butter and pop it in the microwave for about 20 seconds or until just melted. Add your brown sugar and caster sugar and give it a stir. Then add your egg and vanilla extract and stir.
- Add your plain flour and baking soda and stir. Then add your chocolate chips and M&M’s. Stir until a soft cookie dough forms, then transfer the dough to your cookie sheet. Flatten the dough and spread it out to form one large cookie. Keep in mind it will spread out in the oven so don’t make it too big. Press a few extra chocolate chips or M&M’s on top. Bake for approximately 12 minutes or until golden brown. Leave to cool completely before enjoying!
- *To get half a large egg, crack one large egg in a small bowl. Beat with a fork and then halve it. The best way to determine exactly half is by weighing the egg. Our large eggs are approximately 50 grams so I used 25 grams of egg.
Keywords: Cookies, Candy, M&M's, Chocolate, Choc chip