It’s party time here at Sweetest Menu HQ. We’re making cupcakes, Fruity Pebble Cupcakes to be precise. Remember when I shared those Fruity Pebble Cereal Milk Baked Donuts? Well I still had leftover Fruity Pebbles cereal in the cupboard so I decided to get baking again.
These cupcakes are the perfect party cake. We are talking sweet, soft vanilla cupcakes filled with colourful Fruity Pebble cereal, topped with creamy pink buttercream and sprinkled with more Fruity Pebble pieces.
I love to bake and create with cereal. Heck, I just love to eat cereal. Fruit Loops are my cereal of choice (for a special treat) but Fruity Pebbles are pretty great too. Although I have to go all the way to America to get a box of those!
Sometimes I spy a box at an American candy store but they will usually be selling them upwards of $12 a box – eek. I’m glad I sneaked a box home in my luggage on our last visit! These cupcakes used the very last crumb of my Fruity Pebbles but it was well worth it because cupcakes!
Adding Fruity Pebbles to the cupcakes makes them that little bit special, just like when you fill them with funfetti or sprinkles (remember these?). After you make your cakes, it’s time to pile high the buttercream and sprinkle over more Fruit Pebble flakes.
I tinted my buttercream pink but you could use whatever colour you prefer. These cupcakes would be such a sweet treat for a baby shower or a kid’s birthday party, don’t you think?
Fruity Pebble Cupcakes
Vanilla cupcakes filled with Fruity Pebble cereal, topped with creamy pink buttercream and sprinkled with more Fruity Pebble pieces.
- 190 grams (1 and 1/3 cup) plain flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) milk
- 1/2 cup Fruity Pebble cereal, plus extra for decorating
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 435 grams (3 and 1/2 cups) icing or powdered sugar
- 2–3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A few drops of pink food colouring
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line a 12 hole muffin tray with patty cases.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking power and whisk together briefly. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric beater for about 4-5 minutes or until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat for a minute or until the eggs are fully incorporated. In a separate jug, add the vanilla extract to your milk.
- Next, add approximately one third of your flour mixture and half of your milk mixture. Gently fold with a spatula, then add another third of flour and the rest of your milk. Stir and then finally add the last of your flour mixture and the Fruity Pebble cereal. Your cupcake batter should be nice and creamy. Try not to over mix otherwise your cupcakes will be dry.
- Fill your prepared patty cases with the mixture, ensuring they are around half full. Pop into the oven for approximately 16-18 minutes or until just golden on top and they spring back when lightly touched. Take the cupcakes out of the oven and immediately transfer them out of the tin and onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream frosting, add the butter to a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until pale and creamy. Gently sift in the icing sugar, one cup at a time. Add a tablespoon or two of milk to help loosen up the mixture. Add the vanilla extract and continue to beat. Add a tablespoon of milk if needed. The icing should be nice and creamy but thick enough to hold its shape. Add in your food colouring (optional) until it reaches your desired colour. Pipe the icing onto the cupcakes using a piping bag and a large star tip. Sprinkle over a little extra cereal.
Leave a Comment