Before I go on about how amazing these donuts are, I need to ask – have you ever eaten a turtle? The American chocolate? They are a delicious mix of caramel and pecans, all covered in milk chocolate. They are good! We don’t really have anything similar in Australia but these baked donuts will give you your turtle fix!
Beginning with a soft baked donut, using the same recipe I perfected with my Cinnamon Sugar Baked Donuts, I added a handful of chopped pecans to the batter. Next step was dipping the donut into a rich chocolate glaze, made using real milk chocolate and a dash of cocoa.
For an extra pecan kick, I chocolate coated a few pecans before roughly chopping them for the finishing touch. I loved piling them on top of the chocolate glaze and then adding a generous drizzling of caramel to each one. These are definitely my most decadent donuts to date! I really loved them – I hope you do too.
Baked pecan donuts topped with a creamy chocolate glaze with choc-dipped pecans.
Baked Pecan Donuts
- 140 grams (1 cup) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 70 grams (1/3 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 70 grams (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) milk
- 35 grams (1/3 cup) chopped pecans
- 125 grams (1 cup) icing sugar
- 30 grams (2 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4–5 tablespoons of milk
- 100 grams (2/3 cup) of milk chocolate melts
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
Chocolate coated pecans
- 100 grams (2/3 cup) milk chocolate melts
- 50 grams (1/2 cup) pecans
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) caramel sauce (homemade or store bought)
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Lightly grease a 9-hole donut pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until combined, then add the egg and beat for another minute or so. Add half the flour mixture and half the milk and gently stir, before adding the remaining flour and milk. Finely chop the pecans and gently stir them through the batter.
- Place the mixture into each hole in the donut pan. Be careful not to overfill, each hole only needs to be about half full. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, pop the icing sugar, butter and one tablespoon of milk into a bowl. Beat with an electric beater until smooth and creamy. Melt the chocolate in the microwave and then add to the icing sugar mixture with the cocoa. Beat until smooth, adding one tablespoon of milk at a time until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Melt the chocolate melts in the microwave. Place the pecans in a small bowl and pour over the chocolate. Give it a good mix until the nuts are fully coated. Tip the pecans out onto the tray and spread them out so they are in one layer. Pop into the freezer to set. Meanwhile, coat each donut with the chocolate glaze. Once these are done, the chocolate coated pecans will be set. Roughly chop the chocolate coated pecans and sprinkle them on top of the glaze. Then generously pour over caramel spread.
Keywords: Caramel, Pecan, Donuts, Doughnuts