Dark Chocolate Pistachio Cookies made from scratch. Filled with pistachios and chunks of dark chocolate, these cookies are soft and chewy with crispy edges. There’s no need to chill the dough, so they’re ready in minutes!
Oh hey there cookie 👋
More specifically, my Dark Chocolate Pistachio Cookies. These golden brown cookies are bursting with crunchy pistachio nuts and chunky pieces of dark chocolate, and finished with a sprinkling of sea salt.
These cookies are just a little bit fancy – perhaps the black tie version of the more casual chocolate chip cookie 🎩
Crisp on the outside, with a buttery centre that melts in your mouth, dotted with gooey pockets of chocolate and a sweet pistachio flavour. Does it get any better?
Just like my favourite Macadamia Cookies and White Chocolate Chip Cookies, these cookies start with room temperature butter that gets beaten together with sugar. This process is known as creaming, and it helps to produce a lovely rustic cookie with crispy edges.
For a soft and chewy cookie, you can use melted butter – like in my Classic Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe.
But room temperature butter works perfect in this cookies. And one of the big benefits of not using melted butter is that you don’t need to chill the cookie dough. Which means you get a stack of Dark Chocolate Pistachio Cookie into your hungry hands faster – a win in my book.
We use a mix of caster sugar and brown sugar. Caster sugar is a fine white sugar (read more about it here) which adds sweetness but also helps create those crispy edges and it also helps the cookie dough spread when baking.
On the other hand, brown sugar adds that perfect caramel-like flavour and colour that makes these buttery cookies irresistible.
But let’s be real.
The real start of the show here is those fix-in’s. The magical pairing of dark chocolate and salty pistachios ❤️ You can, of course, use any chocolate you like. I love to buy a big block of chocolate and cut it up by hand. That way each piece is different.
These homemade cookies are perfect for an after-dinner sweet or wrapped as a gift for your cookie-loving friends.
MORE AMAZING COOKIE RECIPES TO TRY
- Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Walnut Cookies
- Cake Mix Cookies
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chewy Dark Chocolate Pistachio Cookies made from scratch.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cup) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) pistachio nuts
- 110 grams (3/4 cup) dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Sea salt
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line two baking trays with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugars using an electric beater until pale and creamy – approximately 1-2 minutes. Add vanilla and egg and beat briefly until combined.
- Add flour and baking soda and mix until a soft cookie dough starts to form. Add pistachio nuts and chunks of chocolate and mix briefly on low speed.
- Use a cookie scoop or your hands to roll cookies into balls, approximately 1 tablespoon of cookie dough each, and place on your prepared trays. Leave room for the cookies to spread out.
- Bake your cookies for approximately 10-12 minutes or until golden brown on the edges. While they are still warm, sprinkle with sea salt.
- Once the cookies have cooled slightly, gently remove from the tray and transfer onto a wire rack to cool completely.