What is your favourite chocolate bar? I like Twix. That sweet shortbread and gooey caramel? Definitely one of my favourites. So its nice to know when the Twix craving hits, I can whip up a whole batch of these beauties in no time at all – a very nice idea indeed. This recipe is pretty fun to put together and not as tricky as you might think. In fact, you only need five ingredients!
So it begins with that soft shortbread biscuit base. I use my easy three ingredient recipe for shortbread – the same one that features in my Fluffernutter Chocolate Slice. Once the shortbread is carefully cut into long fingers, I then pile on the thick caramel. You could use homemade or store bought. I used a caramel spread to fill mine, just like I did in my Caramel Stuffed Cinnamon Sugar Donut Holes. Then comes the fun part, dunking the bars in smooth melted chocolate.
Homemade shortbread topped with caramel and topped with chocolate, just like the candy bar.
- 125 grams (1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon) unsalted butter, softened
- 40 grams (1/3 cup) icing or powdered sugar
- 140 grams (1 cup) plain flour
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) thick caramel sauce (homemade or store bought)
- 260 grams (1 and 2/3 cup) milk chocolate melts
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (360 F). Grease and line an 8 inch square baking tin with baking paper, making sure two sides of the paper overhang. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and icing sugar for a minute or two until combined. Add the sifted flour and stir until a soft dough forms. You may need to use your fingers to massage the dough together. Press the dough evenly into the base of the tin. Bake for 16 – 18 minutes or until golden brown on the edges. Leave to cool.
- Once the shortbread is completed cooled (and I mean completely), cut into long fingers. Grab your caramel, give it a stir to loosen it, and then spread a dollop of caramel on top of each finger. Try to wipe the caramel from the edges as you go and keep it on the top. I went around a second time and added a little more caramel to each one. Place on a tray or plate and pop into the fridge.
- Melt the chocolate over the stove by placing a saucepan on a medium heat with a few inches of water in the bottom. Place a heatproof bowl over the top, ensuring the bottom of it does not touch the water. Pop all the chocolate melts in the bowl and gently stir until fully melted. Once the chocolate is smooth and glossy, remove the saucepan (bowl and all) from the stove and keep the bowl sitting on top of the saucepan. The warm water underneath will ensure the chocolate stays smooth and loose.
- Gently dunk each finger into the chocolate and slowly lift it out with a fork and let the excess chocolate drip off. Place on a tray lined with baking paper. Continue until all the fingers are done. Place in the fridge for at least one hour to set. Enjoy!
*Using this recipe, you will have some leftover shortbread. The plain shortbread makes for a really nice bikkie to have with your tea or coffee.
Keywords: Twix, Bars, Caramel, Chocolate