Prep: 180 minutesCook: 35 minutesTotal: 3 hours 35 minutes
Learn how to make your own Homemade Twix Bars with layers of shortbread, caramel and chocolate.
- 65 grams (1/2 cup) icing or powdered sugar
- 175 grams (1 and 1/4 cups) plain flour
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) butter, melted
- 240 ml (1 cup) sweetened condensed milk
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Sea salt
- 300 grams (2 cups) milk chocolate, broken into pieces
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Grease and line an 8 inch square baking tin with baking or parchment paper, ensuring two sides overhang (this will make it easier to remove the slice later).
- In a large mixing bowl, add sugar and flour. Whisk to combine. Add melted butter and stir until moist. Mixture should resemble wet sand.
- Place shortbread into baking pan and press down to form one even layer. Bake in the oven for 12-14 minutes or until the crust is slightly golden on the edges. It’s ok if it looks slightly under baked as it will be baked again. Remove from oven and set aside while you make the caramel.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, add sweetened condensed milk, butter and sugar. Place on a medium heat and stir constantly until the butter melts. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until caramel turns golden brown and thickens slightly. This can take around 10 minutes so be patient!
- Once the caramel has thickened, remove from heat and stir in a pinch of salt. Pour over shortbread crust. Then bake in the oven for another 12 minutes or until golden brown. Leave to cool for 15-30 minutes before placing in the fridge for 2 hours to cool completely and firm up.
- To assemble Twix Bars, carefully remove caramel shortbread from tin and slice off the edges. Cut the shortbread into 16 fingers, approximately 3 inches or 8cm long and 1cm wide.
- Heat chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted and smooth. Gently dunk each shortbread finger into the chocolate and slowly lift it out with a fork and let the excess chocolate drip off. Place on a tray lined with baking paper. Continue until all the fingers are done.
- Place Twix Bars in the fridge for at least 1 hour so the chocolate can set. Enjoy!
- It’s important to heat the caramel on a MEDIUM heat only. Too hot and you will burn the caramel and it will stick to the bottom of the saucepan or you will get little flecks of burnt caramel floating in it.
- Keep stirring your caramel at all times. Pull up a chair because you will need to sit there for at least 10 minutes until it turns golden brown and thickens. The change is subtle but see photo below for colour guidance.
Category: DessertCuisine: American