It’s SMORES time! Today we are combining our love of two things – chocolate chip cookies and smores to create Gooey Smores Cookie Bars! These buttery cookies are full of chunky chocolate pieces and a stack of mini marshmallows so they are literally PACKED with all the good things in life.
Dive right in after the cookie dough has been baked to golden perfection and you will be met with gooey pockets of chocolate and stretchy toasted marshmallows. It’s all the joy of smores indoors – and it could be ready to eat in just 30 minutes!
Out of ALL my favourite American desserts and foods, smores would have to be one of the best! Who knew the simple combination of graham crackers, chocolate and toasted marshmallows could be so irresistible?
I don’t get to attend bonfires very often and I’m not the camping-type so I love to create unique ways to enjoy all the tastiness of smores indoors. I’ve made a Smores Brownie Pie, oh and Smores Marshmallow Chocolate Cupcakes.
Now we can enjoy all the goodness of smores in cookie bar form! And I have to say, this cookie did not disappoint. It is buttery, chewy and filled to the brim with chocolate and marshmallows. I also bought a Hersey’s bar to decorate the top seeing as that is part of the traditional smore.
As you can see from the photos, these bars are slightly on the messy side which I think seems fitting considering smores are messy too. After all, you can’t pack cookie dough with so many gooey, chewy things without it bursting at the seams.
How was your weekend? My husband and I tried a new burger joint in town but were a little disappointed. I have to say America has spoilt us for good burgers, good barbecue and good donuts. It’s still always fun to check out a new place though!
I still think my all-time favourite burger place in the world is Shake Shack. They sure know how to make one delicious beef burger. Then you’ve got the fries and their ridiculous shakes. Ah, I could go one right now! But I’ll settle for another Smores Cookie instead!
Gooey Smores Cookie Bars full of chunky chocolate pieces and mini marshmallows.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cup) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (30 grams) mini marshmallows, plus a few extra for decorating
- 120 grams (3/4 cup) dark chocolate chunks
- One small (40 grams) Herseys bar
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Grease and line an 8 inch square baking tin with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the butter and sugars and beat using an electric beater for a minute or two until smooth and creamy. Add the egg and the vanilla and beat until combined, scrapping down the sides. Add the sifted flour and baking soda and stir using a wooden spoon. Add the mini marshmallows and chocolate chunks and mix through.
- Transfer the cookie dough into your prepared tin and press down the top as evenly as possible. Place in the oven for approximately 18 minutes or until golden brown. Leave to cool for 5 minutes, then add the pieces of the Herseys bar on top before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into squares and enjoy.